Discuss Waterproof Cement Based Tile Adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

Madfuller

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a 100% waterproof cement based tile adhesive that is powder form and can be mixed only with water prior to application.

Does a product like this exist here in the UK?

Thanks

W

WetSaw

The adhesive will be waterproof i.e it won't break down in water. That doesn't mean that water won't penetrate to the substrate, that's what tanking is for.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm sure there's adhesives out there that make claims on the front of the bag to be waterproof only to state water resistant in the small print, Unibond, Everbuild, that end of the market. Actually I think even Dunlop has a bag claiming to be waterproof. I was always taught that anything cement based will allow passage of water but won't necessarily break down in water (as pdc states above). Norcros do a waterproofing liquid additive which replaces the water and they claim makes the adhesive impervious, I'd be sceptical myself. Again, echoing above, tanking is the way to go.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Topps tiles own adhesive bags say it. Saw it the other day when chatting in the tile adhesive poll thread.

Big letters waterproof cement based adhesive grey 20kg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Epoxy is the only water proof 'Adhesive' (its neither an Adhesive or grout but can be used as both).

O

One Day

Hi,

Could anyone recommend a 100% waterproof cement based tile adhesive that is powder form and can be mixed only with water prior to application.

Does a product like this exist here in the UK?

Thanks

What do you mean or understand by "waterproof"?
It's a confusing and sore point here!

M

Madfuller

Hi. Thanks for the replies so far.

I was trying to understand if there was a 'one bag easy to mix' adhesive that can be applied as a single application, providing 100% waterproof barrier between tiles and the gypsum or cement board underneath (or behind). By waterproof I mean that, assuming 100% coverage on the gypsym board, if the grout fails in the future, the board itself will not damage.

Most standard bulk tile adhesive's seem to be cement based, and I guess the lower cost of manufacture plays an important part in the success of the product. The two part solutions seem more expensive, probably due to the cost of additives and more packaging, hence the question to see if there is a cement based solution that gives waterproof results at the same or similar price as standard adhesive.

W

WetSaw

If there was such a product I suspect you'd see a lot less tanking going on. The Sika products, although excellent quality, are usually very expensive compared to the usually tanking route.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for the replies so far.

I was trying to understand if there was a 'one bag easy to mix' adhesive that can be applied as a single application, providing 100% waterproof barrier between tiles and the gypsum or cement board underneath (or behind). By waterproof I mean that, assuming 100% coverage on the gypsym board, if the grout fails in the future, the board itself will not damage.

Most standard bulk tile adhesive's seem to be cement based, and I guess the lower cost of manufacture plays an important part in the success of the product. The two part solutions seem more expensive, probably due to the cost of additives and more packaging, hence the question to see if there is a cement based solution that gives waterproof results at the same or similar price as standard adhesive.
Grout isn't water PROOF either though.

Cement-based anything isn't water proof. As I'm sure you know. It's water resistant, as in it wont break back down with water. As cement is cured by hydration.

Are you suggesting cement-based grout is a water PROOF layer? Because that isn't correct.

The cost of additives in cement-based adhesives is usually down to making it flexible, it still doesn't make anything water PROOF.

You can't add anything to cement tile adhesive to make it water proof.

If you want a water proof substrate to tile to, you make the substrate water proof, before adding a cement based anything, whether with or without additives. It's not going to be water proof.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you work for this company, and are referring to this tile adhesive: Cemtx: Advanced Cement Technologies - http://cemtx.com/tile-adhesive.php

Which states on your own website it is water resistant, and not water proof.

If you think you're the first one to come up with a water resistant cement based tile adhesive you're waaaaay off the line. And if you think your water resistant cement based adhesive is going to stop water getting through to the substrate behind it, you're also waaaaay off the line.

Perhaps you could stop beating about the bush and come clean with this thread and stop wasting our time?

I hate it when people don't come clean about what their motifs are on the forum.

@3_fall spotted this one.

If we are correct, he works for the firm he's about to start talking about lol

H

hmtiling

I'm assuming you work for this company, and are referring to this tile adhesive: Cemtx: Advanced Cement Technologies - http://cemtx.com/tile-adhesive.php

Which states on your own website it is water resistant, and not water proof.

If you think you're the first one to come up with a water resistant cement based tile adhesive you're waaaaay off the line. And if you think your water resistant cement based adhesive is going to stop water getting through to the substrate behind it, you're also waaaaay off the line.

Perhaps you could stop beating about the bush and come clean with this thread and stop wasting our time?

I hate it when people don't come clean about what their motifs are on the forum.

@3_fall spotted this one.

If we are correct, he works for the firm he's about to start talking about lol
Well said

M

Matt Bott

Almost as bad as the cold callers, there's a lady who keeps ringing and insisting I've been in a car crash, confused as I have never crashed into or been crashed into,when I say no she shouts at me.
Sneaky Marketeers.

I digress would the op suggest a skim of this adhesive for my roof, Doris is blowing the tiles off.

Reply to Waterproof Cement Based Tile Adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks