Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

1. laugh TilersForums.co.uk Tiling Job Of The Month Competition! laugh

Vote on July competition by clicking HERE (click the thumbs up on the job you want to win!

Enter in August competition by clicking HERE (click 'add your JOTM entry' and then 'add media')

Discuss warning to transit owners in the south east. in the Insurance for Tilers area at TilersForums.co.uk.

1. elybathrooms

elybathrooms Guest

Last night my van was broken into and they have taken the lot alll my cutters and power tools all told about £3500 worth.

Here's the warning bit. There was no sign of the van being broken into, no window smashed and no locks tampered with. The police women said they must either be using a skeleton key or a radio transmitter to match that of the key fob. On phoning my insurance company they wont pay a penny because there is no evidence of a break in. In other words if i had smashed the window myself i would have been able to claim. me being the law abidding citizen it didnt even cross my mind to damage my own van.

Just though i would let you guys know as i wouldnt wish this situation on anyone. Its worth ringing up the insurance company and checking. I wish i had.

If any one gets offferd a couple of Rubi slide cutters, Makita 12v wet saw and a host of makita 18v gear and a nearly new fein multimaster. Its probably out of my van.

But we soldier on, managed to borrow a few diy tools from the next door neighbours and im back in busines. They might have all my tools but they sure dont have the skills to use them. LOL

Tilers Insurance Deal for Forum Members!

We've teamed up with an insurance comparison website to bring you some discounted insurance services. Please use the following links to browse to the correct comparison section of our website to find the best deals for your new policy, or renewal. Always shop around every year. But always please do use our comparison site every year too. Because all insurance firms change their prices differently based on dozens of factors.

Van Insurance for Tilers :: Motor Fleet Insurance for Tilers :: Public Liability Insurance for Tilers :: Tradesman Insurance :: Professional Indemnity Insurance for Tilers :: Mortgage Protection Insurance for Tilers :: Income Protection Insurance for Tilers :: Car Insurance that's discounted for members!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2016
  2. nybor62

nybor62 Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

my mate had is vivaro stolen, 17000 . but because he could,nt find the spare key they wont pay up

3. united

united Guest

:yikes: Sorry to hear that mate. Thanks for the insurance advice :thumbsup:

4. doug boardley

doug boardley Guest

very sorry to hear that ely, I hope you get some leads as to who the thieving gits were:incazzato:

5. paul flight

paul flight Guest

this happened to my son about 6 mths ago . lost around £1800. worth of tools . not insured if tools are left in van. so he has now booby traped it with 6 pounds of cemtex seems the only way to stop these theives:incazzato::lol::lol:

6. richard Kent

richard Kent Member of Tilers Forums

Hi Ely how old is your transit? my brother in law had his broken into about 5 years back, apparently they cut through the cables at the back of the van leading from the frame work to the door and it releases the central locking, this fault has been sorted on newer transits.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  7. Diamond Pool Finishers

Diamond Pool Finishers Swimming Pool Expert Professional Tiler JOTM Winner

oh nooooooooooo mate so sorry to hear of this :incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:i hate thieves, hope you get something back :thumbsup:

8. elybathrooms

elybathrooms Guest

i wouldnt pay for tool cover again. I have been paying the premium every month for 7 year and when i need to make a claim they pretty much laugh down the phone. if you read the small print there is such tight guidlines on what they will pay out on. Just going to put that few quid in a saving account so if it happens again at least i have some money set aside. Im keeping a keen eye on ebay in the hope that the phrase as thick as thieves rings true. What frustrates me is there going to sell them for a fraction of what there worth. I wish they would have just knocked on my door and asked for the few hundred quid they will get down the pub for them. Save me and them a load of hassle.

here goes cutting ceramics on the beastly rubi wet cutter that was luckily in the garage. lol

9. elybathrooms

elybathrooms Guest

its an 02 plate. I will defo check that. The locks seem to be working fine. What was a little strange was that the left hand number plate light cover was on the floor but the bulb was still intact. have ordered some hefty lock to go on the back and side door. they must have been super quite the dog didnt even hear them and it right next to the house.

10. paul flight

paul flight Guest

richard thanks for tell me hoe to brake into old transits this could come in useful if i need any new tools!!:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

11. Rob Z

Rob Z Guest

One of our trucks was just broken into in front of the job, residential neighborhod, middle of the day, busy street. They got several power tools, but were considerate enough to not tear up the back hatch too badly :mad2: . I just bought two Knaack brand gang boxes for the site. It's Washington DC, so what else could I expect? :incazzato:

12. richard Kent

richard Kent Member of Tilers Forums

Just check the cable for any cut marks, they don't cut all the way through, it was a safety feature in case of an accident. Anyone with the older transit needs to fit a piece of angle iron in front of the cable to stop the blade reaching the cable.

13. DHTiling

DHTiling Guest

Sorry to hear this...Don't forget to check out the car boot sales..

14. paul flight

paul flight Guest

the dogs in on the job . keep an eye on him . if he comes in with a new collar he is the insider :knife::lol:

15. fergy7197

fergy7197 Guest

this is totally shocking.. sometimes taking the law into your own hands is justified!

16. hillhead

hillhead Professional Tiler

Bad craic that.my van sits on my property but my two lazy hounds would hear nothing im sure.must check for my spare key too.too many tools in my van.(not really but worth a lot).hope you find the tools and rest.

17. fergy7197

fergy7197 Guest

IIRC If someone has a ford master key! (hard to come by) they can open any transit/connect.

My mate next door is a plant mech - his back door lock snapped his key. spare was inside the van

Ford came out with a master and opened his van to get the spare. Guy told him that basicly the master opens everything!

18. SandyFloor

SandyFloor Professional Tiler

I had one stolen years ago. Police called about three days later to say it had turned up about 50 miles away. Went to pick it up the next day and took it home....broken steering lock and all. The real insult came a few weeks later when the reminder for the parking ticket came thro the door. You'd think a thief would have the common decency to park your vehicle legally, wouldn't you?

19. Ken Bruty

Ken Bruty Professional Tiler

Scumbags! :yikes: I'm just looking to buy a transit now as well :yikes:

20. Colour Republic

Colour Republic Trusted Advisor Professional Tiler

Did the van have central locking?? I have heard of a trick where the wiring system can be shorted via the number plate light and hey presto, i'm sure if you did a goole such you'd come up with something. Wheather this is proof of a break in or not I don't know but hopefully it is documented by the police.

£3.5k is a lot of tools to lose, and would put a serious whack in anybodies pocket taking it to account the time lost... not only is it the financial cost but a lot of tools can't be replaced, I've had it happen to me before, luckily it wasn't a lot of my tools but they got a lot of thoses little hand tools you build up over many years, the ones that you can't remember where you bought them or have even seen again but make you life just that little bit easier... scum! absolute scum!

Where abouts are you in the south east mate?