Discuss Victorian Tiled Path Concrete Slab Joints in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
I'm pouring a reinforced concrete slab pathway to my front door which i want to tile with victorian mosaic tiles. the path will be 10m x 1m. i've been told to cut expansion/control joints every 2.5 metres. if i do that, do i fill these joints with screed and tile over them?

any advice

S

Spud

Not sure why you were advised to put expansion joints in so frequently,there isn't actually a bs standard which states how often expansion joints are required externally most bay sizes are generally 8m which generally follows the internal guidelines , if you have good ground and 100mm thick pour you should be okay without one ,
Are there any big trees or conifers near the path ?

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
Not sure why you were advised to put expansion joints in so frequently,there isn't actually a bs standard which states how often expansion joints are required externally most bay sizes are generally 8m which generally follows the internal guidelines , if you have good ground and 100mm thick pour you should be okay without one ,
Are there any big trees or conifers near the path ?

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
there's a gradual slope and i'm going 150mm. i had other advice not to put any cuts in at all. there are no trees, but i will be planting a hedge along the path. if i do cut a control joint in, can i tile over it ordo i have tomake a gap in the tile?

Reaction score
sorry meant to say you can tile over joint but decouple the tiles that cover the
joint in the concrete.You can do this by using a rubber tape which you can glue over the expansion joint in the concrete useing a flexi adhesive.Wedi do a tape
for their boards but it is not cheap,if you cant find rubber tape use your imagination.

robhdg

TF
Reaction score
The answer is no but it will be a good idea to decouple over the expansion joints.
sorry Jim, just to clarify,

no i should put control joints?
no i shouldn't?
no i shouldn't tile over the expansion joints?
or
no i should make a gap in the tiles?

Reaction score
you can tile over expansion joints.
you dont need control joints.
no extra gap in tiles.
all you need to do is bridge the expansion joint that you have in the concrete
with the wedi tape and then tile as normal.

Reply to Victorian Tiled Path Concrete Slab Joints in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks