Discuss using an impermeable grout - externally in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

stvkny

Hi, I'm laying patio slabs in an outside courtyard area that overhangs a basement flat so want to point with something non-water permeable? Any ideas? I've been recommended epoxy resin slurry-style grouts but even they are water permeable....The slabs have a drop so the water should roll off but don't want it gathering in the joints and seeping down through...
Thanks in advance for any help
Stef

O

One Day

As above - your approach is totally wrong. Waterproof the substrate, then incorporate a drainage layer (see Schluter or BAL) then tile as if water will get through, because it will!

Do it any other way and you'd better make sure your pl insurance stays up to date!

S

stvkny

thanks for the pointers guys :thumbsup:
doing the substrate is not really an option...and I don't expect it to be entirely water proof - this is replacing a load of wobbly pavers on a sand base where water pools regularly up to an inch thick so I'm basically trying to minimise pooling and just helping the water to shift down and away. So its not like sealing a swimming pool or owt - essentially I'm just looking for something a bit less permeable than the usual polymeric sand or sharp sand so the water can "travel" a bit more...

Reply to using an impermeable grout - externally in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks