Discuss URGENT! need advice TODAY, horizontal staring point (see drawing) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

Old Mod

If you're prepared to go to the effort, insert closers in the centre of the wall and you'll have it the way you want

O

Old Mod

Reduce each tile with blue line by sufficient amount to loose the amount needed over the window.
So if it just 10mm for example, reduce single tiles by 10mm and double tiles by 5.
Use a rubbing block to tidy the edges.
If you take your time and don't rush, once finished you'll never tell.

IMG_1499.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jimbob

Please check your ceiling is level, or at least find the highest point.
One other option is to turn the floor tile up the wall, as a skirting tile, around 100-120mm..Full tiles up from this.
I had thought about doing this with the floor tiles, I'll draw it up now to see how it looks.

O

Old Mod

Go back to the post where I posted your plan on the previous page. You'll see dark blue lines drawn on your plan, these tiles can be reduced by 5-10mm or what ever you need to produce a full tile around the window and no small slithers will be required. Besides, you can't put 5-10mm cuts around a window, it'll be wrong on so many levels.

J

jimbob

Go back to the post where I posted your plan on the previous page. You'll see dark blue lines drawn on your plan, these tiles can be reduced by 5-10mm or what ever you need to produce a full tile around the window and no small slithers will be required. Besides, you can't put 5-10mm cuts around a window, it'll be wrong on so many levels.
Yes, I've saw this. I think this is the best option so far. I'm also going to draw up an option to see how it looks if I bring the floor tiles up the wall slightly like a 100mm skirting.

Thank you so much for all your help with this. I really appreciate it.

O

Old Mod

I still prefer the original set out with a 10mm gap at ceiling.
You can either add a small cove at ceiling line or even just add another layer of plasterboard to the ceiling, both can be done at a later date,
With only 300mm or so over the window head, a double cut can look bitty.
Just my opinion tho.

J

jimbob

I still prefer the original set out with a 10mm gap at ceiling.
You can either add a small cove at ceiling line or even just add another layer of plasterboard to the ceiling, both can be done at a later date,
With only 300mm or so over the window head, a double cut can look bitty.
Just my opinion tho.
So, eight full height rows from floor up and small gap at ceiling ? I was thinking of this as well and just put a tile trim around the top. The tiles are matt white and the grout is white the ceiling will be painted white so everything is white so I think a small gap at the ceiling would be fine.

O

Old Mod

So, eight full height rows from floor up and small gap at ceiling ? I was thinking of this as well and just put a tile trim around the top. The tiles are matt white and the grout is white the ceiling will be painted white so everything is white so I think a small gap at the ceiling would be fine.
Dunno about fine :) however if you find you can live with it, then it's perfectly acceptable, it's your home after all.
Good luck with it.

J

jimbob

Have drawn up all walls and floor
Would love opinions, comments, ideas etc
What do you think?
RheGBia.jpg
On the door wall around the edge of the bath there is a 30mm sliver of tile and above the door a 35mm sliver of tile - is there a way I can adjust so these won't be quite so small?

What do you think, are these slivers alright?

Is it a compromise?

In an ideal world I would like nothing smaller than 150mm, a quarter tile

I'm unsure.

Reply to URGENT! need advice TODAY, horizontal staring point (see drawing) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks