Discuss URGENT! need advice TODAY, horizontal staring point (see drawing) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jimbob

I need opinions on where to start tiling. I'm doing a standard running bond with 300X600 tiles, so like oversized subway tiling.
UMclRMU.jpg

*Green tiles - cut tiles White tiles - full (uncut) tiles

I want the tiles centered on the window and a full tile where the wall meets the ceiling. This doesn't work well with the height of the window or the height of the room as it leaves a small gap where the wall meets the floor. About 21mm.

The floor tiles are 8.2mm so they will reduce this gap to about 10-11mm.

I've worked all this out with 3mm spacers between all the tiles.

How can I resolve this gap ? Where should I start tiling ?
Need opinions today.

There will be a toilet centered under the window and a wash hand basin to the right.

Thank you so much in advance.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Can't always have what you want when setting out.
How does your set out work for the rest of the room?
If you can't raise floor or use bigger grout joints then I would be starting 1/2 tile from floor. This will give bigger cuts above bath, still be balanced floor to ceiling, will work with window and allow you to rake your cuts if your floor/ ceiling isn't perfectly level.

J

jimbob

How's it work taking full tile or three quarter tile off the bath..?
KajAkWX.jpg

Full tile off bath

The tile above the window sticks out by 5mm either side as the window is 590mm and the tiles are 600mm. Also 74mm tile all around where wall meets ceiling. What do you think.

J

jimbob

If you can't raise floor or use bigger grout joints then I would be starting 1/2 tile from floor. This will give bigger cuts above bath, still be balanced floor to ceiling, will work with window and allow you to rake your cuts if your floor/ ceiling isn't perfectly level.
Floor has just been leveled with self leveling floor compound. Will draw this up with half tile from floor now to see.

Wall to left of bath is just a blank wall the length of the bath from bath to ceiling so works out fine, wall to right of bath is just a full height blank wall with a radiator, and opposite wall to window wall just has a door in the corner so all these walls will work fine no matter which way it is.

W

WetSaw

It's risky to have a full tile at the ceiling unless you know that the ceiling is absolutely level, which would be quite unusual!
Also, are your tiles all exactly the same size?
Rarely does a plan on paper work out in real life, there's always something that isn't quite square or level.

J

jimbob

It's risky to have a full tile at the ceiling unless you know that the ceiling is absolutely level, which would be quite unusual!
Also, are your tiles all exactly the same size?
Rarely does a plan on paper work out in real life, there's always something that isn't quite square or level.
All tiles are exactly 300x600 wall and floor tiles. Wall tiles are 10mm and floor tiles 8.2mm

J

jimbob

Half tile from floor

ZxlbFwh.jpg

much more cut tiles this way and less full (uncut) tiles also have the issue of the tile under the window being 600mm and the window being 590mm so tile sticks out 5mm either side of window.

what do you think?

O

Old Mod

at the ceiling and move all the tiling downslightly?
I haven't been able to read it all yet sat in traffic. If your set out is finr apart from ceiling line, stick 100mm coving on top of tiles and paint with oil based eggshell.

J

jimbob

I haven't been able to read it all yet sat in traffic. If your set out is finr apart from ceiling line, stick 100mm coving on top of tiles and paint with oil based eggshell.
Thank you so much for commenting. I don't think coving is an option as this would have to be got and we want to resolve the issue without buying any extras.

J

jimbob

If centered on the window both vertically and horizontally

XV1oxwZ.jpg

I like this option as it gives about a half tile around the floor and ceiling which looks quite symmetrical but its the issue of the tile above the window again where the tile is wider that the width of the window..
what do you think?

Reply to URGENT! need advice TODAY, horizontal staring point (see drawing) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks