Discuss Underfloor heating/issue with builder in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi Sean Kelly

Pretty much spot on although if I was notified in the first instance, I would of gone in with my sparky( have done 2 of these in the past and have been compensated as it was a manufacturing fault ) and if it definitely was below tiles. started with taking up the tile with the cold join beneath it and if it wasn't that joint then move on to the end tail (termination join) At this point if we couldn't get it working, I would have called in the proffessionals and would have paid them to sort it. There are only 2 joints in any one mat, 99% of the time if it fails, it will fail there.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
He should have called you really. It could have saved him some cash.

Reaction score
Also does anyone know what this means- it was one of the notes on the bottom of the report

Resistance reading less than 999Mohms of heating element to braid (or earth) indicates heating element
insulation damage. Heating cable in working order although low resistance reading may deteriorate and cause future
failure. Fault location not attempted with element to braid (or earth) resistance above 10Mohms due to risk of damage
to heating cable. IEE Wiring Regulations require minimum insulation value of 1Mohm for general supply wiring

Reaction score
They put a high voltage through the mat and used thermal imaging to detect the fault so I assume the original failure didn't look as bad as it did but by sending a high voltage through the mat it explodes at the weakest point and in this case was my taped over end join. Is this right ?

O

Old Mod

Also does anyone know what this means- it was one of the notes on the bottom of the report

Resistance reading less than 999Mohms of heating element to braid (or earth) indicates heating element
insulation damage. Heating cable in working order although low resistance reading may deteriorate and cause future
failure. Fault location not attempted with element to braid (or earth) resistance above 10Mohms due to risk of damage
to heating cable. IEE Wiring Regulations require minimum insulation value of 1Mohm for general supply wiring
If I'm correct, they take a resistance reading between the cable core and the outer braid. (The metal strands that surround the core and core insulation.)
It has to be a certain value to ensure proper insulation is present.
Get @Dan to link this thread to the sparks forum, they should be able to answer your questions.

Uheat - Jake

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score

If there was a break in the cable it would have been showing open circuit on the multimeter.

They put a high voltage through the mat and used thermal imaging to detect the fault so I assume the original failure didn't look as bad as it did but by sending a high voltage through the mat it explodes at the weakest point and in this case was my taped over end join. Is this right ?

This is a common way to find a fault with the heating element, it's a very complicated procedure especially if you don't know where the fault is.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
@thickbed can I assume that if we are still going on about this now, that they did indeed contact you before they went ahead with the repair and you refused to go look at the job or said it wasn't your job to or something and now you're just trying to pass the blame?

Reason I say this is because if you didn't have the chance to repair a fault of yours, or at least be involved in agreeing whether repair costs are appropriate, it's not something you need to carry on worrying about.

And you keep skipping past me pointing this fact out.

So I'm starting to think you perhaps did have the opportunity but avoided it maybe?

If that is the case, just split the bill with the builder and swallow your pride and move on.

But don't wriggle out of it.

Perhaps go on a UFH installation course and learn about it. Or avoid installing it in the future.

Reaction score
@thickbed can I assume that if we are still going on about this now, that they did indeed contact you before they went ahead with the repair and you refused to go look at the job or said it wasn't your job to or something and now you're just trying to pass the blame?

Reason I say this is because if you didn't have the chance to repair a fault of yours, or at least be involved in agreeing whether repair costs are appropriate, it's not something you need to carry on worrying about.

And you keep skipping past me pointing this fact out.

So I'm starting to think you perhaps did have the opportunity but avoided it maybe?

If that is the case, just split the bill with the builder and swallow your pride and move on.

But don't wriggle out of it.

Perhaps go on a UFH installation course and learn about it. Or avoid installing it in the future.

Don't know why you now assume that I was contacted before the repair had taken place and trying to get out of it, the first I knew of this situation was the email from the builder asking for me to pay the repair guys. He went ahead and got the repair done without me knowing about it.
I am still gobsmacked that he has gone about it in this way-why not phone me first.
The reason I am going on about it still is that I am now starting to question the verdict of the repair guys. I honestly believe that by putting some masking tape over a join, it would cause it to burn out. From what I can see in the picture that has been sent to me by the builder the tape around the join was tight to it and was encapsulated in levelling compound afterwards and then tiled over.

I have spoken to a few sparkies about this and all of them say this is near impossible to happen. Anyway all of this is irrelevant because the builder has not contacted me in the first instance.

Who is going to replace the 2 tiles and whoever that person is, are they then responsible for the floor?

Think that was a bit of a low blow suggesting I go on a UFH course. I have done hundreds of UFH installs and this is the first one that I have been blamed for and I want to know why!
The builder has given me to this Friday to pay his bill or he will take it to court

Mike

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Apologies if I touched a nerve. Didn't meant to, that's for sure. We're here to help.

He doesn't have a leg to stand on in court. So go, and present your case, he'll end up paying court costs. Don't avoid going though, he'll automatically win.

Simply say you'd have been more than happy to repair the UFH and the tiles as a result, but as you were neither consulted or offered the chance to repair yourself at your own costs, which you're quite capable of organising, you are simply not liable to pay somebody else's bill to which you had no control over the value of.

In fairness, if I were you, I'd split the costs and walk away with your head held high.

It's 180. Stick it through your business as an expense and offset it against your tax bill and it works out even less. If you're VAT registered claim your % of the vat back and it's even less. And in the long run if the word gets around (and you don't get the opportunity to have your say) locally, it'll cost you more in possible lost business.

S

Spare Tool

I disagree Dan, I think he'll walk out of court head held high when he wins his case, not by splitting the £360 with the builder.
So say a tile had cracked and the builder didn't contact the installer, instead he flicked through the yellow pages and ended up picking @impish to do the repair...imp hits the builder with £500 bill for his half a day ;) the builder then expects the installer to pay that bill, even though he was quite capable of changing the tile himself...its not on and the builder's only got himself to blame!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh no I'm totally down that way of thinking mate read my posts in this thread it has only been me banging on about that fact.

But the OP keeps coming back with more 'what ifs' and so i thought if he's fighting it like that he won't make himself look cool locally. So just pay some or whatever to keep the cool.

But yeah I'd cut the builder out, and explain to the customer the situation and ignore the builder directly and wait for the hearing.

Reaction score
I honestly believe that by putting some masking tape over a join, it would cause it to burn out. Sorry this is wrong and should have read:

I honestly believe that masking tape would not cause this to burn out

Mike

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Shot yourself in the foot doing it anyway if it says not to. Even a manufacturer fault wouldn't hold if you'd not followed the instructions to the T.

So personally, I'd drop it and just go to the hearing.

Reply to Underfloor heating/issue with builder in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks