Discuss Underfloor heating/issue with builder in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

I have always tried to keep the tape as tight as possible to the cable. Avoid any air pockets around the tails (and joints on bespoke cables).

Picture of a recent job shows how I've just stuck the tip of the tail down to stop it curling up, but the main body is set down in cut out thermal board.
(you'll probably need to click and zoom!)

20170106_105518.jpg

20170106_135052.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's why it attracted my attention lol soothing for the OCD in me ha

Reaction score
So the repair man has been recommended by the manufacturers. Would love to know how many failures he attends and reports a manufacturing failure, probably not very many as he may not have much more work coming his way
Just a thought

Reaction score
Lovely neat work impish question:
Where you have used duct tape to secure the cable in place, can you be 100% sure there are no voids between the cable and the tape? I'm just comparing my masking tape situation to your duct tape and TBH I cant see a difference

O

One Day

Lovely neat work impish question:
Where you have used duct tape to secure the cable in place, can you be 100% sure there are no voids between the cable and the tape? I'm just comparing my masking tape situation to your duct tape and TBH I cant see a difference

Nope. Can't be 100%. But I believe that the cables aren't the weak spots.
Tails and joints are. It's stressed by all manufacturers that those must be embedded.
I always flood my cables (and occasional mats) with slc which is a safer bet than adhesive straight on. Far fewer air pockets - tape or no tape I guess.

Reaction score
Nope. Can't be 100%. But I believe that the cables aren't the weak spots.
Tails and joints are. It's stressed by all manufacturers that those must be embedded.
I always flood my cables (and occasional mats) with slc which is a safer bet than adhesive straight on. Far fewer air pockets - tape or no tape I guess.

Agreed I also always use levelling compound which is why I cant seem to get my head around why this has happened

D

Dumbo

What was the outcome ?
Main contractor who supplied heat mat paid for repair but asked me to go and replace Tile which I did . But until you have one of these situations you don't realise how critical some aspects of it are . Personally where possible I am going the use the system where the wires push into membrane to limit the amount of tape used like the Variopro system

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I am thinking that these are the sequence of event:

The UFH has failed.

The customer has contacted the builder.
The builder has contacted the UFH company.
The UFH company has given the builder the number of a person than can seek and repair the damage. If the damage is caused by a faulty cable then the UFH company will bear the cost of the repair.
The repair man has located the problem, removed the tile/tiles and made the repair. The repair man is independent and impartial.

He has identified that the problem is due to the end of the cable getting too hot and the glue has melted on the end cover. The end of the cable must be encased in tile adhesive or SLC. The adhesive and SLC draws away the heat from the cable. If there is a pocket of air around the termination block then the heat generated by the cable is not drawn away quick enough.

The repair man has tested the cable and found that the problem is caused by the installer - sorry.

The repair man gives the bill to the builder.

It seems to me that the builder thought that the problem must be down to a faulty cable but got a shock when he was given the bill (he got the bill because he contacted the UFH company).

In my opinion the builder should have contacted you as you had installed the cable. You would then have rung the UFH company and you would have been given a bill of £360.

The chances are that you would not have found the fault by yourself and you would have had to call in the experts anyway.

The builder has learned a lesson............a lesson that has cost him £360 !!!

You either split the difference with the builder or let this run and run.

Reply to Underfloor heating/issue with builder in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks