Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Uk Pro Tiling Training - Tiling Courses (formerly Nett) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Last edited:
E

Elliott

Re: North East tile Training - Tyne & Wear

:D This is the first course i have ever been on and didn't yawn once. :D

Darren and his really nice missus (Tracey) were great, The course was professionally taught, full of good laughs, covered everything possible with questions being answered with proffessional knowledge and honesty.

The techniques are so simply when you know how, but it's all the knowing how that you didn't know that he shows you - WHAT!!!
The no mess silicone technique was fantastic and perfection. :)

Anyway, the 4 days flew over and every evening when you finished you were left buzzing and remotivated.

At the end you receive an attendance certificate and (+ college fee) a level 2 (GCSE A*-C equivalent) certificate.

Well worth the money for the amount of knowledge and skill you come away with. but book quick cos there is a long waiting list. ;)

S

S.Hunt

Book on in december Elliot, glad you enjoyed it do you think you learn enough to set up on your own after this course? Ive booked the level 2 creditation aswell is this worth it what governing body is it?:)

E

Elliott

:)You will learn more than you expect and need to set up on your own. If you LISTEN.

Darren has had guys get massive contracts after 6 months.

I can't tell you what the governing body is, you'll find out on the course, but it's well worth the extra money.

But if you want to set up on your own, there are loads of grants out there to be accessed, they will pay course fees and give grants to buy gear. Do research in your area now.:)

T

tiler burden

hi

just thought i would give you my honest opinion about this course...its was excellent. darren has over 22 years experience as a time served professional tiler and it shows. he has also taught at college to british standards and he delivers the course in a very professional, efficient manner. he has crammed all his experience and teaching techniques into a very good course and i would not waste 4 weeks of your time and money when their is a guy out their who can deliver the same in a week!

the setting out techniques were brilliant. all your cuts projected onto 1 wall so you know where every tile will be. it took 5 minutes to do this!! his free out curve cutrs were amazing. darren also ensures you have the correct business acumen to suceed. his course wil cover advertising and marketing because lets face it, you could be the best tiler in the world but if you dont know how to get the work in then your skills are no use.

i also did the natural stone course and the level2 accreditation. i am a plasterer by trade and have 21 years of renovation experience so i probably found the course easier than a complete beginer, so bear that in mind when reading this but i have a hnc in building studies so i know a good teacher and a tradesman when a see one.

darrens wife tracey helps the course run smoothly and she is very friendly and helpful so give her a call and she will tell you all you need to know. i will only recommend somebody if they impress me and north east tile training did exactly that. the week flew by, everything i learned in still in my head, thats how good it is........

all the best

tiler

D

DevonR

Hi,

I'm completely new to the forum and start the course with North East tile Training on the 8th of January (new year, new career - hopefully) and after reading the above comments I'm quite excited. I'll obviously feed back my own thoughts on it once I complete the course.
I must say after speaking to just Tracey so far she is extreemly nice and helpfull and at no point so far have I felt that all they want from me is money. Not like some things in life. Tracey has spoken to me at length about the course and she is so enthusiastic that it's hard not to get swept along.

I can't wait now to get cracking.

D

DevonR

OK so I finished my 4 day course yesterday, or should I say very late last night.

First of all I'd like to say that the opinions expressed are purely my own and in no way am I judging any other course available out there and in no way am I an expert on the subject.

What a busy 4 days I've just had. The course offered by North East tile Training certainly puts you through it both mentally and physically, but boy does it deliver the goods!
We have covered in 4 days everything from preperation work to adhesives, measuring a job to pricing, we've also covered working on different surfaces, pattern layouts, business sense, advertising, finding work and I could go on and on. A lot of people may say this is too much to take in, in 4 days, and you do have to be tuned in and listening. Darren delivers the course content though in such a way that it's really hard not to understand pretty much straight away the techniques and practices he gives you.
With over 22 years experience as a tiler he can deliver situations from the real world in which situation a certain https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ would be used, this gives more relevance to the explanations he gives. He also tells you were he has gone wrong and what to watch out for so you don't make the same mistakes when you start out. The course days are long and on most nights it's been close on seven when you leave (8 last night) but when you do go you feel you really know and understand the day as you have a going over session before you leave just to impact the training.
Efficiency is the key as Darren would say and this is what this course is, efficient. No mess, no fuss, straight to the point, here's a demo of what you do, do you all understand, yes, right then get on and do it. For me trying yourself is the best way to learn. For instance day one of actual tile I went home covered in cement, from my top to my jeans. Day two of tile and I went home with only a couple of finger marks worth of cement on me, because after trying the technique all day the previous day and making my mistakes then, the second day the knowledge had sank in and I felt more confident and in turn was more able to do the job.
For anyone serious about training in tile you can't go far wrong in my opinion. I would feel confident today to go to a customers house armed with my knowledge and measure up, quote and then turn up and do the job to a level that would give customer satisfaction. I also feel though that I could offer the customer advise on various aspects of the job in hand, the best tile choice for the job and explain why a particular https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was required say and add real value to my service therefore becoming more than just "a tiler". I already have my first 2 jobs lined up, a floor and a complete bathroom, small potatoes to some but hey from little acorns......
Oh yeah Darren also gives out his personal details so you can call him should you ever need to ask any questions, but he also likes to hear back from people to see how they have gone on since they finish the course. this I think makes all the difference. The personal touch.
And lastly but by no means least a big thanks to Tracey (Darrens wife) who is so nice and has all the time in the world to speak to you. Tracey is as enthusiastic as Darren about the course and both of them together make a great team.

Apologies for the essay but I feel I need to cover what worked for me and how good this training is.

Thanks guys.

Eric.

C

Claret73

Some really good points here regarding this course. I'm looking to retrain & am sceptical about it only lasting 4 days but then think what is the benefit of 4 weeks on a financial level?? I have no knowledge at all!!! I'm not even a DIY enthusiast, so am being doubtful of my own ability for those that have said they are lining up self employment work after doing this...what concerns me are the other factors coming into play, such as encountering plastering (poor wall surfaces etc)/plumbing (moving radiators or needing to rejig pipework)/ flooring issues etc...are people on this post competent already in these areas that are sure to crop up?

I'm sure that knowing nothing I can only learn right rather than having to be reprogrammed correctly & will have exceeded my knowledge, but is it enough? How can I progress from the 4 days to more experience? Apply for a job get grounding? Or go it alone & top up with more courses?
Cheers fro any responses
Andy

D

DevonR

Claret,
To be honest I went on this with no experience what so ever. Like you I'm in the Print/Graphics trade looking to re-skill. This course (although others may tell you it's a waste of time) will explain preperation of work. From surface loads to how far realistically you can work on uneven walls. It will cover what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ to use and where. What primers to use,what spacers, what tiles, what equipment. How to get work, where to look for it and how to measure up and quote for jobs. It will cover how to lay out a room so you no where every cut will lie and what it looks like, regardless of wheather it is floor or wall. It will show you how to make your own features and borders from the tiles being used on the job to add value to your service. It will show you how to tile on different floors, when to lay ply, how to tile on different floor materials when they meet on a job. It will also teach you so much more.
I left the course on thursday and have managed to secure myself 6 jobs now over the coming month. One is a complete bathroom tile out for my parents, one a floor for a friend and a further 2 floors, kitchen splash backs and a half height bathroom and floor tile out for another customer who my plasterer mate is currently working for. I'm not chucking in the day job just yet though these will be weekend work until I can build up my experience and speed.
To be honest if you train as a tiler your a tiler. Sure you can do other courses and learn plumbing etc but if thats of no interest just deal in tile. Get to know a plumber who can come and take radiators off for you, in turn he'll pass your number on when he plumbs in a new bathroom. Get pally with a joiner who can come and shave doors for you and again he'll be happy to pass on your number whenever he can - network. You don't have to take on any jobs you don't feel comfortable doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tileman2

DevonR

Pleased to hear you enjoyed the course and have jobs lined up, Im the 5 day course in a few weeks times and really looking forward to it.

Im the same as you in full time employment and going to start working weekends/nights to get me started before hopefully leaving main job.

Have you got a van yet and where did you get your tools, as im sure a small van would be needed doing this job especially if doing it as main job, also would be good for advertising with you name splashed all over it.

Do you have much advertising planned.

Good luck and keep grafting

Tilerman2

D

DevonR

Hello,

Glad to hear your going on the course, if you listen to Darren you can't go wrong. He's a true professional and has a lot to offer anyone considering tile as an option for a future career.
Van wise I have one lined up, just a cheap one to get started but I'm waiting on payment from my first jobs so I have no debt going into the venture.mI don't want to start with finance agreements etc if I can help it.
Tools, I got mine all from Darren at the course. I have a few odds and sods to get before my first job starts in 2 weeks (new drill, spirit level etc) but tile wise I'm fully loaded. All bought and paid for too so no debts there either.
I need work wear as well but one of the lads on the course supplies this so if you need anything like that let me know and I'll get you his number.

Good luck and all the best.

Eric.

T

tileman2

Hi nice to get quick response Devonr, Yes i was going to do the same with tools get them at the end of course off Darren whom im sure wll supply a much needed starter kit.
Did it cost you much for tools just so i know as a rough guide.

Workwear - Yes once you get sorted let me know

Van- Same here i have around 2500 to spend on idealy a small van ie trasnsit connect or Renault kangoo

Regards

Tileman

D

DevonR

For £2500 your looking at a decent van. I'm not spending any where near that to be honest, not till things pick up anyway and then maybe later.
I paid around £400 for my tools. This included a wet and dry cutter, grout floats, gorilla tubs, trowels, grout wisk, rubbing stones, wash boy system, sponges, nippers and the list goes on. So pretty decent value I'd say.
Darren sells a load of gear but he will run through on the course what he deems to be "essentials" some of the kit is not necesary to get going with and you can always go back to him at a later date or purchase else where.
Let me know how you get on when you finish.

H

h0ndatyp3r

Hi there DevonR and Tileman,

It was good to hear your comments on the course DevonR. I will be going on the course on the 29th of this month and can't wait (Tileman what dates are you going on the course?)

Like yourself and Tileman i'm still in full time employment and will be going down the same route as yourselves regarding working weekends and evenings to gain experience and speed. Common sense really!!!

I know individuals don't agree with the 4 day tilers as they have come across bad workmanship. That only reflects on the individual not the course/training. One thing about myself, is i am very much into customer service, which will ensure that i do a first class job for the customer. I wouldn't like to be ripped off by a tradesman, so i'm certainly not going to do it to someone!

Colin

D

DevonR

Hi Colin,

It's a great course, very hectic but if you can listen and crack on then you'll have no problems. It's amazing the stuff you get taught and the knowledge you come away with.

Let me know how you get on.

Eric.

Reply to Uk Pro Tiling Training - Tiling Courses (formerly Nett) in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock