Discuss Type of Primer in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jafeica

TF
Reaction score
i am about to tile my bathroom using a rapid set (powdered) adhesive using 500 x 200mm ceramic tiles.
One of the walls has previously been painted. The paint is well adhered to the surface cant scrape off. What advice on a good primer to use on this surface

Thanks

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't be using rapid set adhesive unless your very efficient and fast at tiling or you will end up throwing loads away, you get around 30 mins once it's mixed.
Tiling on paint is a no no really.

L

LM

As above, you need to try and remove the paint or over board it. Definitely don't be wall tiling with rapid set at your stage, it'll be a very unpleasant and costly experience with wasted product etc. Get yourself some standard set powdered C2TE classed adhesive, far more user friendly when having to maybe adjust a tile etc that's been fitted a short while ago.

jafeica

TF
Reaction score
I will certainly take your advice on the adhesive and I will try my hardest to remove the paint. On the same point the other walls are plastered (new) would you prime these if so with what primer. Lee Mac what is a C2TE adhesive.
Thanks

F

Flintstone

C2te is the grade of adhesive, c2 is its level of flexibility, te means slow set, I think!
Read the bag, that will tell you what needs priming etc but as a rule plaster needs two coats diluted 3 parts water one pt primer

L

LM

I will certainly take your advice on the adhesive and I will try my hardest to remove the paint. On the same point the other walls are plastered (new) would you prime these if so with what primer. Lee Mac what is a C2TE adhesive.
Thanks
I don't know what brands you have available but I'm a big fan of Ardex/BAL products, other products may be just as good it depends on what's available to you and at what price. Different primers and adhesives are made up of and differ in qualities.
You need an acrylic primer like the one in the link below
ARDEX P 51 Primer - http://www.ardex.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=6&CatID=1

Hopefully this link will help you understand the different adhesive classifications as well.
https://www.bal-adhesives.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/BAL-Adhesives-Training.pdf
C2TE is the standard and most common powdered adhesive used for most wall tiling. :)

I

Italy

C2te is the grade of adhesive, c2 is its level of flexibility, te means slow set, I think!
Read the bag, that will tell you what needs priming etc but as a rule plaster needs two coats diluted 3 parts water one pt primer
TE is tixotopic ;)

Reply to Type of Primer in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks