Discuss Tuscan Levelling System in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Rob Z

The last couple of years, I haven't had that many interesting tile jobs. They've had some tricky details to deal with, but not much of a "pizazz" factor like I see some of you guys posting here.

We're finishing the glass shower job that I told you all about several months ago. Now that it's in, I'm really kind of depressed about it. I think we did a good job, but the design is really bad and I think the owners are too thrilled about it. But we're stuck with all of it because the designer has run of the house and is changing everything (including work that we did in the kitchen five years ago).

R

Rob Z

I finally remembered to get a camera onsite at the same time that we were using TLS. Here are some photos . There is a new gun for the straps. This one has an adjustment knob to regulate the tension applied to the strap. The lowest setting barely pulls the strrap. The "S" setting is what is needed to break the strap. This adjustment function is useful because in the past I have accidentally broken straps in place while tightening the caps. THis floor is about 26 sq feet or 2.5 sq meters. I used about $25 in straps or about 15 GBP.

Attachments

• IMG_0514 (Large).JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0528 (Large).JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0512 (Large).JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0529 (Large).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 229
R

Rob Z

The lower-cost strap tightener is useful sometimes when access is too tight for the larger pistol. The new low-cost tool has been improved slightly because the lower handle is curved, which makes it less of a knuckle-buster.

Back-buttering is necessary, but we would be doing that with any large tile anyway. These tiles are 14" x 14" (35 cm x 35 cm for my friends overseas :smilewinkgrin:). These are set with a 1/8" grout joint.

Attachments

• IMG_0517 (Large).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0533 (Large).JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0524 (Large).JPG
    74 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_0525 (Large).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 165
R

Rob Z

I just noticed that the reflection of the light from the window (first photo in first post) is "broken" as it runs across a grout joint. At the time I took this photo, Eddy hadn't tightened the final straps in that corner. THe tile was set close to final position, but the TLS is what will bring it in to as close to flush position as possible. I'll try to remember to take the camera back and get the same spot photographed again for comparison.

S

Stewart

Cheers Rob..... How do you find the time difference on using this product compared to not using it. I'm struggling to see the point of using it, unless it speeds up install times.

R

Rob Z

Hi there Bob,

I've never been able to conclusively determine the cost/benefit for the TLS strictly based on labor saved vs cost of the straps and gear. If we ever did two floors that were the same, I'd probably set up and do one with and one without, and analyze the results. But most of our jobs are one-off things and nothing is ever the same twice.

My feeling is, however, that we are faster by at least enought to pay for the straps. The real difference for us is convenience and not having to worry about tiles shifting or sagging after they're set. I know a lot of guys here in the US like TLS and use it. I don't know if there is any one here at this forum that has used the products.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi rob i am trying the lash system at the moment and it works very well, only you end up with sore hands,i want to try the tls system but its a hefty set up cost,but i do agree these systems save u time. :thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Andy, I saw the LASH product for the first time the other day. The bottom part of the plastic straps is curved so much that it seems like it would prevent the tile from being set close to the substrate. In use, do you find that this is not a problem?

The bottom part of the TLS strap is flat.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Andy, I saw the LASH product for the first time the other day. The bottom part of the plastic straps is curved so much that it seems like it would prevent the tile from being set close to the substrate. In use, do you find that this is not a problem?

The bottom part of the TLS strap is flat.
hi rob no not found this a problem i think the curve helps with bringing the tiles level ,cos your only using your fingers to push the wedges into the clips,i think they also could be good for tiles with various thicknesses,im using them all the time now for large format tiles.but i would like to try the tls system .:thumbsup:

Reply to Tuscan Levelling System in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks