Discuss Trim After Tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazza1

Won't the tiler come back and re-do the cill with trim..

I suspect not - just a feeling. I would probably approach someone else in any case.

Aside from the cill the walls aren't bad - the photos don't do justice to the fact that it looks okay and maybe even pretty good. I think the overall effect of the lines of columns takes the eye away from irregularities within the columns. I did notice irregularities in the grout lines but only because I was looking and to be honest I didn't notice that the lines weren't straight until it was pointed out.

It would have been better to have bought regular edge tiles but the pros and cons of different styles, finishes and colours together with my naïveté meant we went for these ones.

I wonder how much I would be looking at to ask someone to fit a trim to the cill.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depends how much patching needs doing after removing the tiles.
I would allow and charge half a day for that.

I

Italy

Thanks again guys.

Aside from the window it looks much better in the flesh than it does in the photos. Not sure why this is - I suppose in person the eye is probably not drawn to specific parts of the pattern but instead takes in the whole thing.

I supplied the tiles but the tiler supplied everything else.

I didn't know about joint sizes (wasn't told about this) and definitely was not given a trim option (which I why I assumed a trim would be fitted).

Not sure I can now justify the expense of fitting a trim and getting another tiler to install it (a different one).

You live and learn I guess although I imagine you guys are experts and probably perfectionists too (which is a good thing) :D

Not sure what to do now. It does look much better in person than in the photos though and many DIY tiling jobs I've seen look much worse :cool:
experts and probably perfectionists too...........
that my clients tell me.
(almost all) :)

Diggy

TF
Reaction score
They seem to have a glazed edge , so trim is down to personal choice really , which he should have offered you in fairness. Again as regards the layout stacked or brick is up to the customer. Agree the joints are far to small , with a wider joint I also think the edge of the tiles would have tied in better to the overall effect ( if they are indeed glazed ).
All that said, to add the trim , I'd pop off the whole cill and reveals to achieve your desired finish , can't see it being to much off a problem myself .Couple of hours , few extra tiles and a little bit of care and attention should sort it out.

Diggy :0) - Merry Xmas all by the way!!!!!

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Joints tooooo tight... Personally "don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar"..
Chop out the sill and reveals , trim or mitre and replace... Never accept 2nd best.....it'll always bug you...

W

White Room

this may not be every ones solution but have you thought about may be painting the edges take a tile to a paint shop and they may be able to mix you a paint to match the glaze covering then if that's not to your liking then replace. merry xmas

I know a tiler that does that.....

I

Italy

45 ° no ?.
in Italy many times to cut even 45 ° with the grinder. :(
antonio makes them with your eyes closed (lol)

Chris Gibbs

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would take the cill tiles off and fit a granite window cill instead.would be a nice feature and take your eye away from the joints.

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Your easiest most cost effective way of dealing with it is to paint edges as others have mentioned.. Albeit a compromise..

C

Cghunter

Its not just the sill, the whole edge around the window is the same. They should have been mitered! Paint it

Reply to Trim After Tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks