Discuss Trim After Tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazza1

Hopefully someone can advise on a far from perfect situation.

A professional tiler has just tiled my kitchen but around the window ledge (where vertical wall and flat ledge meet) he did not use trim. The edges of the tiles are exposed. It's no doubt a matter of taste but to me it doesn't look good.

It's a shame because otherwise the job is okay. I was out when it was being finished and stupidly assumed trim would be used around a window. :(

Is there any way that plastic white trim can be added once the tiling has been completed or is there any other sort of solution that would mean that I don't have to remove the tiles and pay to have that part re-tiled?

B

Bill

It would depend if the tiles need a trim to finish off the look. Some tiles do not need one. Any chance of a photo, please?

Q

Qwerty

Any trim retrofitted will stand proud and not look right. Only real option would be to remove one course of horizontal tiles and refit with trim

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not many glazed edge tiles around any more so a trim is standered practice the tiles on the cills would have to be removed to fit the trim.

G

Gazza1

Thanks for the replies To, Plan Tec and Andy.

Here's a picture. The tiles have a rough splash style glazing on the edge that isn't complete and doesn't fit with the colour or spread of the glazing on the face of the tile.

IMG_20151224_074845.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Thanks for sharing @Gazza1

I mean no offence, but that is no professional that has tiled your kitchen! Those handmade tiles should never really be tiled in a stacked (standard set) layout. The uneven surfaces creates those unsightly uneven grout joints you see. I personally would have brick bonded them and most likely mitred the edges with no trim.

I take it they are the Cotswold style handmade tiles or has my late night drinking with neighbours last night affected me more than I first thought!?

G

Gazza1

Thanks Plan Tec.

To be fair he did recommend brick bond but, not knowing about these things, we went with the advice of someone else on the layout.

They don't actually look too bad elsewhere to my untrained eye (see photo) but the window is a problem I think.

They aren't hand made - just Topps Tiles branded factory mass produced!

Is there anything simple I can do to make the window section look better?

IMG_20151224_080842.jpg

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
As stated earlier, one way around it would be to take the windowsill and reveal tiles off, fit trim and re-tile.

Q

Qwerty

Topps Tiles

Yes, these are "handmade" tiles. Mass produced, but handmade effect.

You could grind back the face of the edges, cut the trim and glue the trim face to the tile edge, but the end finish will be just as unsightly as what you have now. They are ceramic and fairly soft really but would be very time consuming!

Or you could remove the tiles and fit trim and tiles back.

B

Bill

Those tiles should have a wide joint on them too..... to hide the irregular size of the tiles........ these tiles do not NEED a trim but it is a choice you should have had.

The white gout is also highlighting the joints......personally, I would used a grey grout.

G

Gazza1

Thanks again guys.

Aside from the window it looks much better in the flesh than it does in the photos. Not sure why this is - I suppose in person the eye is probably not drawn to specific parts of the pattern but instead takes in the whole thing.

I supplied the tiles but the tiler supplied everything else.

I didn't know about joint sizes (wasn't told about this) and definitely was not given a trim option (which I why I assumed a trim would be fitted).

Not sure I can now justify the expense of fitting a trim and getting another tiler to install it (a different one).

You live and learn I guess although I imagine you guys are experts and probably perfectionists too (which is a good thing) :D

Not sure what to do now. It does look much better in person than in the photos though and many DIY tiling jobs I've seen look much worse :cool:

I

Ian

It wouldn't be a huge job to remove the tiles in the window reveal and replace once a trim had been fitted, as someone has already mentioned, it'd be worth adding a piece of plasterboard to the cill while you're doing it, to lose the small cut at the bottom of the side reveals.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
it'd be worth adding a piece of plasterboard to the cill while you're doing it, to lose the small cut at the bottom of the side reveals.

Then you gonna have to re-do the windowsill bottom cuts as well Bri ;) but yeah, another option :)

Reply to Trim After Tiling in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks