Discuss Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

alig9

TF
Reaction score
I moved into a new build home 7 years ago with tiled flooring and underfloor heating on the ground floor. The kitchen and patio was tiled in travertine; the remainder in porcelain tiles.
After a year hairline cracks appeared in several of the travertine and I had the tile company inspect the problem. They said there was nothing wrong with the tiles and that the problem was the under floor heating and that the porcelain tiles would also crack in time. 6 years later
70% of the tiles have cracks; there are no cracks in the porcelain and there are also cracks in the travertine outside on the patio and multiple cracks within the travertine patterns/fillings.
I am at my wits end about the deterioration of this floor. Is this normal for travertine? Was the travertine faulty? Can it be remedied? I have attached pictures

482.jpg 483.jpg 484.jpg 485.jpg 486.jpg 487.jpg 488.jpg 489.jpg 490.jpg 491.JPG

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Travertine is a very soft stone and the constant expansion and contraction of the ufh will cause the cracks, a decoupling mat should of been used between the screed and the tile to prevent this.
The porcelain tiles should be ok as there a lot harder than the travertine.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the builders skimped on the travel side and didn't use any uncoupling as said above. Not surprised in the slightest.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
not always the tiler/builder Dan, offen the customer will not pay for an uncoupling membrane. I would walk away but many would still fix the stone
True actually! I'd assume they'd be expecting this though if that was the case?

J

J Sid

you can often talk them , give the the links to different uncoupling membrane company's and still they say 'not paying for that'. Not saying the OP has done this but happens alot.

Andy if the patio was not laid on a well set and compacted sub base and good screed then this would crack up quicker especially thought the winter with water ingress and freezing

F

Flintstone

Good point. Are standard travertine like these even suitable for outside? They look like they could be highly filled

J

J Sid

not good out , especially in this country.
really surprised the shop said they were, if they did.
not only is the quality not up to external use but you really need to be looking at at least 18mm to 20mm thickness min for any external stone not the 10mm to 12mm for internal which this job probably us

O

One Day

I'd say the same as Andy Allen's 1st post there, but I'd also add that the travertine looks low grade, not suitable for external use.

D

Dumbo

I'd say the same as Andy Allen's 1st post there, but I'd also add that the travertine looks low grade, not suitable for external use.
I would say the travertine looks low grade and isn't fit for purpose as it has a high amount of filler . Had a customer get a sample of some stone like this once and it fell in half as they took it out of the boot of the car

F

Flintstone

id say travertine is the weakest softest stone you can get, the amount I've used that are a crumbling mess.

O

One Day

id say travertine is the weakest softest stone you can get, the amount I've used that are a crumbling mess.

Just the stuff we're used used to seeing from the likes of Topps! The coloseum is built from travertine and it's lasted pretty well. Good quality travertine is a beautiful stone and great to work with. Pity there's not much about...

D

Dumbo

Some suppliers recommend their stone is only used for walls but still retailers sell it for floors

Reply to Travertine floor covered in cracks in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks