Discuss Trass adhesive question in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

NZ_Tiler

Can anyone share their knowledge on trass adhesives? Is trass a "cement" itself or is it just an additive?

O

One Day

Its a volcanic ash used as pozzolana. Don't know if there's any special properties though. Might be an "eco" thing perhaps?

N

NZ_Tiler

Its a volcanic ash used as pozzolana. Don't know if there's any special properties though. Might be an "eco" thing perhaps?
Thanks for the reply. I knew that bit^^ It helps with preventing efflorescences and the like, just not sure if it's the "binder" alone

O

Old Mod

Trass is an additive to cement or lime, which when mixed with water reacts with calcium to create a hydraulic cementitious product which has high density and waterproofing properties, and that is why it is a good adhesive for softer stones.
Thus providing a good defence against efflorescence, as you said.

N

NZ_Tiler

Trass is an additive to cement or lime, which when mixed with water reacts with calcium to create a hydraulic cementitious product which has high density and waterproofing properties, and that is why it is a good adhesive for softer stones.
Thus providing a good defence against efflorescence, as you said.
Do you have any literature about this?
Thanks in advance

N

NZ_Tiler

In what form?
Can I ask for what reason do you want the literature,
are you looking for scientific evidence or are you trying to prove a point?
I trust your answer, just prefer to have something in writing published.

A tile shop we will be laying for is pushing us to use Sopro products over mapei. One reason was this trass adhesive. I would like to learn as much about it before using...

O

Old Mod

Haha not what I meant.
If you need scientific evidence, not much good giving you company spiel from a manufacturer is it?

I

Italy

I know only pozzolanic cement. We use it here to lay the exterior walls in stone. Was used by the Romans, and it became hard, even immersed in the water.

I

Italy

I know only pozzolanic cement. We use it here to lay the exterior walls in stone. Was used by the Romans, and it became hard, even immersed in the water.
sorry, translate of smarphone is painful
It becomes hard also immersed in water.
one day, he arrived on site a truck full, came from southern Italy.

I

Italy

I trust your answer, just prefer to have something in writing published.

A tile shop we will be laying for is pushing us to use Sopro products over mapei. One reason was this trass adhesive. I would like to learn as much about it before using...
i use sopro brand,
I use the grip, similar to mapei mapegrip.
It sells the cercol, brand of adhesive.
CERCOL brand, was purchased by Mapei.

Reply to Trass adhesive question in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks