Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor heating in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Everyone
Looking for some advise.
I have just been to look at a job that has, Karndean flooring on a concrete floor substrate, and has electric underfloor heating.
1. Would you take up the Karndean floor (in V good nick)
2. If not taking up the Karndean, what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ would you use?

Many thanks
Raylincs

OP
R

raylincs

Hi ythan
I'm also getting Kerakoll to come out and spec the job, which will hopefully be next week, so i'll keep you updated.
Yes their Marmorex is similar to Bal Single Part at about £XX per 25kg bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Y

ythan

raylincs
please note that bal do a single part flexible and also a single part fastflex.
the single part fastflex is much more expensive than the single part flexible, but it has much more flexibility to cope with under floor heating.
Bal single part fastflex costs about £XX per 12.5kg bag. Bal single part flexible is about £XX per 20kg bag. That's a big difference in bal products but justified i think.

but Is marmorex as good as single part fastflex?? and only costs £XX per 25kg bag??? blimey.

OP
R

raylincs

Hi All
Just an update:
I have had a site visit from the Kerakoll area Rep, who couldn't have been more helpful :thumbsup:. He has confirmed and as long as I follow their directions, they will guarantee their products for tile on top of the Karndean :hurray::

Quote:
I can confirm that after visiting the site on 30th November,
tile to the existing Karndean flooring:

The Karndean must be well bonded to the subfloor and clean from any dirt / grease etc...
The recommendation/Specification from Kerakoll is :-
1)Kerakoll - Keragrip Eco (Primer for non porous substrates, to provide key)
2)Kerakoll - H40 Eco Marmorex (flexible/white/https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/)
3)Kerakoll - Fugalite Eco (liquid ceramic grout, colour tbc)
4)Kerakoll - Fugabella Silicone, colour tbc.

I might also add, after my local tile supplier contacted Bal, and their Tech Dept have comeback and confirmed that:
Quote:
If the floor is in a domestic area or in an area of limited foot traffic and the Karndean flooring is well bonded to the existing substrate, clean and in good condition, it can be tiled using Bal single part fastflex.

I hope this helps anyone who may come up against the same problemas I have :thumbsup:

OP
D

Dumbo

Re: Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor hea

I really think you need to contact https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers , If one say that you can do it then "knock your self out."
I have contacted https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers over doing something which I wasn't happy about . They said it would be OK so asked them to send me a written specification on how to do the job . They wouldn't. Question what does that tell you .?

OP
D

Dumbo

Re: Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor hea

Bal say it is good to go then go for it.... BUT when it fails , then see what response you get from Bal..

I shall not input anymore as cannot really add to the majority and cannot be assed to argue why with those that say it should be done... so as said above .. knock yourself out and don't complain when it does go **** up.
I can guess and it won't be don't worry we will send a technician to sort it all out as our https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ clearly haven't performed as expected

OP
O

On one

I checked with Bal this morning and you CAN tile onto Karndean if,
The Karndean is not the cushioned type,
The Karndean is well fixed the the substrate,
The substrate is a concrete or sand/cement type,
And the Karndean is degreased prior to fitting the tiles.

And Bal don't usually mince their words, it's either black or white.

OP
D

Dumbo

I checked with Bal this morning and you CAN tile onto Karndean if,
The Karndean is not the cushioned type,
The Karndean is well fixed the the substrate,
The substrate is a concrete or sand/cement type,
And the Karndean is degreased prior to fitting the tiles.

And Bal don't usually mince their words, it's either black or white.
Funny you black or white I had limestone grout from them that was grey but they said it was limestone so that was OK by their standards .

OP
O

On one

I've just used 20kgs of Limestone grout from KeraKoll.......which strangely enough bears a striking resemblance to light grey!

OP
D

Dumbo

I've just used 20kgs of Limestone grout from KeraKoll.......which strangely enough bears a striking resemblance to light grey!
Hopefully you get further than I did with bal . I even brought some more of their grout mixed it up let it dry . It was clearly a different colour but they said it was in their colour tolerances . Wasn't in my customers tolerances . I agreed and rectified it at my expense

Reply to Tilling on a floor with Karndean already on floor & underfloor heating in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock