Discuss Tiling to plasterboard - to prime or not to prime? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Becky

Hello,

Tried to read previous posts but all seem to say different things or depend on adhesive. Bathroom has been plasterboarded, I will be using Aquaseal Wet Room System to tank the shower area and around the bath.

I plan on using Mapei cement based wall & floor tile adhesive, the tiles I have are ceramic and 200mm x 500mm. Do I need to prime the plasterboard where I am not tanking? If so what product would you advise?

Thanks
Becky

S

SJPurdy

Where the areas are to be tanked with the aquaseal system then follow the instructions with the kit: My quick look on the www indicates that there is a primer in the kit to be used on all porous and semi porous surfaces and I think (check?) that includes plaster board.

L

LM

Over a tanked area a cemetisious adhesive must be used and after that for all that's involved just prime everywhere to be safe. Proper priming is never a bad thing.

O

One Day

The primer in your kit is 1ltr and I know it can be diluted. It's actually quite a good primer although I don't rate the kit.
Use it in the wet area as per instructions and use the rest diluted on the other walls.
In theory, you don't need to prime plasterboard as the paper face separates the cement from the gypsum. But I prime everything. Normally i use bal sbr 1to4.
If in doubt, prime it.

O

One Day

Heck, I just reminded myself that we use cement to secure heavy tiles into paper! :eek:

Reply to Tiling to plasterboard - to prime or not to prime? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks