Discuss tiling over quarry tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

Went to see a job tonight which involves fitting 600 x 300 porcelain tiles OVER distressed farmhouse quarry tiles. The existing quarry tiles have been down along time and all seem fairly level and secure. Have got the ok to slc before tiling so thats not a prob. My only concern is that they have been waxed and buffed many times over the years although not in the last year as they knew they were making the change.

Has anyone ever had to go over waxed/buffed tiles? Anything special I need to do? Any special primers I need to be using?

Cheers

stone tiler

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks guys

I meant that they are happy to SLC to get rid of any lips and dips. Taking the existing up is not an option really.

I'm aware that the adhesive/SLC will not stick to the wax on the tiles. Maybe I worded my thread wrong.

What I was trying to say is whats the best way of going about this job? Is it do-able? Has anyone else ever had to go over waxed tiles? What primers did they use?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
There will be no dpm under the tiles. That will probably cause you some issues with slc. You might want to think about how to over come the hydrostatic pressure from rising damp. In my opinion you would be better off either lifting the tiles and building the floor to a modern standard which is suitable for tiling or over layinging it with a ploythene membrane and putting a screed on top. Is there any height restriction?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Bear in mind if they are old quarry lies some of the cost of the xtra work could be offset by selling the tiles. They often have. Really good resale value through reclaims.

M

Mark jude

Cleaning the tiles with a degreaser , or cleaning agent , n and c have a crystals cleaner which I have used many times , will work . You can then remove any high spots , prime with a recommended primer of the smoothing compound company ,beforesmoiyhing . If you want cover all bases Instarmac have a d p m you can apply and then put another smoothing coat on top and it's ready time .
They have primer ,smoothing compound and d p m so can keep the same brand through . Hope this helps mark

O

Old Mod

. Hope this helps mark

Mark, I'm sure it would have been very helpful back in 2012 :D

Updating old threads is good tho, especially if products exist now that didn't when the thread was first written.
A new fix for an old problem is always worth knowing. :)

Reply to tiling over quarry tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks