Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss tiling over paint in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
i have done loads of jobs in bathrooms were the complete bathroom is painted.most of my customers supply the addhesive grout etc.to tell the truth i hardly ever even look to see what type it is.but reading some of these threads its starting 2 make me think twice,is any1 else in the same boat

OP
L

Leatherface

I ALWAYS...........
advise the customer that the paint has to be sanded - this is to give the tiles and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ a good key to the wall - look at removing at least 60 to 90 % of the paint dependant upon how heavy the tiles are.
I have a variable speed grinder with velcro sanding pads - makes light work of the job - although very dusty ( allow a full days labour for an average bathroom )

Just to note - imagine sticking a piece of sellotape on an imulsion painted wall and then removing it after a few hours !!!!!!!!! - the paint comes off on the tape, well that's what's gonna happen with the tiles, the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ stickes to the paint and not the wall !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BEWARE

OP
S

smokey1234x

well that makes sense,but what am really asking is does any1 else tile over paint as i do

OP
T

tiler tom

I check the soundness of the paint ie. it is not loose and flakey and score through to existing. Difficult thing is telling the customer the incresed work in guarenting a sound finished result when Joe Bloggs follows you up with no problem and for x no of pounds less.

Nice change of picture Leather you look less a mass murderer now with your new hairstyle.

OP
P

penno

No i don't tile over a solid bed of paint, have tiled over paint but have give it a good score and a good rub with a wire brush first. Remember if you tile on paint then it is basically the paint holding the tiles on, could quite easily fall off (and probably will.

OP
L

Leatherface

well that makes sense,but what am really asking is does any1 else tile over paint as i do

Thought I had answered your question mate - yes I will tile over paint - but only once it has been sanded - the amount of sanding required depends upon how well the paint is keyed to the wall and how heavy your tiles are .....

100mm x 100mm biscuit tiles, a little sanding required

600mm x 400mm travertine - a lot of sanding required
----
I check the soundness of the paint ie. it is not loose and flakey and score through to existing. Difficult thing is telling the customer the incresed work in guarenting a sound finished result when Joe Bloggs follows you up with no problem and for x no of pounds less.

Nice change of picture Leather you look less a mass murderer now with your new hairstyle.

Scoring in my opinion makes no difference if the paint is emulsion or flaky - just makes it more likely to de-bond from the wall !!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
He'll tile over the sanded paint then.
----
Emulsion breaks back down to a wet paint (sort of) when it comes into contact with moisture. Which is why if you lick your finger and rub it on an emulsion painted wall your finger will get paint on it.

If you get paint on your finger, you need to be scoring the walls to get a good key.

Imagine if your tiles fell off on somebody in the bath, and imagine if they were really young, a child perhaps and it seriously harmed them. You're hitting them on the head with the weight of tiles and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout in god only knows what sorts of quantity. The whole wall could fall off.

Last edited:
OP
L

Leatherface

dan

sorry, scoring in some cases makes sod all difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If the emulsion paint is not adhered very well to the wall, the wall needs sanding, no doubt about it.
i have seen walls that have been emulsion painted onto fresh plaster where the whole wall of paint just peels off with little or no effort !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

brian c

Leatherface you will find this out that there are a lot of newbies and sometimes it is hard to get your answer over as i have also found,eh tysfoot.lolscrew it tysfoot m8.psml.

OP
L

Leatherface

Think I get ya.
I have made myself a promise not to DISS newbies, only give advice that they can heed if they wish. So .........................

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

OP
V

versatilene

Thought I had answered your question mate - yes I will tile over paint - but only once it has been sanded - the amount of sanding required depends upon how well the paint is keyed to the wall

If you apply logic to this then all a lot of sanding does is make the paint layer thinner and more likely to peel away from the wall. So you must either just remove grease and dirt and key the surface ONLY (take as little as poss off) or take it all off

OP
G

grumpygrouter

Just a thought here guys, with emulsion paint that goes back to a "liquid" state when wet, could it be that a lot of tilers now-a-days are using rapid set cement addy and doing so just "damps" the paint surface long enough to make it unstable and then the addy is set to an unstable surface. With bucket stuff, White Star for instance, the addy is wet for much, much longer has more time to "soak through" the emulsion and bond to the substrate behind.

Only reason I pose the question is that I have removed tiles from painted bathroom walls and it has come away with large amounts of substrate attached to the tile. The addy has quite obviously adhered to the plasterboard through the paint in most places though not all. Not sure of the reason for this.

Thoughts on this guys?

Grumpy

OP
P

Perry

a grey area this they say you should remove emulsion paint a little bit of a difficult job that but what ever use your only sticking it to the paint & not the wall have seen lots of builders put a mist coat ready for the tilier
:stupid: big time :stupid:

Reply to tiling over paint in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock