Discuss Tiling Onto Floorboards in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

Stratplus

Hi all,
I want to tile a hall/kitchen floor. Carpet has been removed to now the area is tongue and groove floorboards. What do you guys do in this situation? Screw cement boards down or 6mm ply?

J

Just Rizzle

in the early 80,s we would cover the floor with chicken wire and staple down mesh then screed over and bed the tiles in a slurry cement it worked a dream .
30 yrs on today we use cement fiber boards or ditra matting or wedi boards .

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
in the early 80,s we would cover the floor with chicken wire and staple down mesh then screed over and bed the tiles in a slurry cement it worked a dream .

Removed a floor like this in Saxton last year Ray. It was tiled onto chipboard and survived a flood under 1ft of water. Was solid but once I got the first tile out the rest came up a treat just took ages to scrape the remnants of addy off the floor

O

One Day

There is some brilliant technology as far as materials are concerned, particularly with waterproofing. But honestly guys, there's a lot of marketing kidology. One of the downsides is a loss of common sense and thinking for ourselves.

W

White Room

Move on, we used sand/cement and siraphite finish over 30 years ago on the plastering side of things but now not in use and dry linning I first saw in 73...I'm happy to use the new ideas.

T

Time's Ran Out

At my age I just love this new technology.
Everything is so easy, great products around like Hardie to stop all that shrinkage in modern plywood and think of all the forests it'll save.
Sometimes I wish I was a good DIYer !

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't tile over thin 6mm ply these days but I have done in years gone by and for many many years before that people did, it's what I was thought to do. I'm sure some failed but I'm sure a lot didn't. Some people on here are a bit Ott in my opinion.

F

Flintstone

I wouldn't tile on 6mm ply these days. but I'm sure a lot of people have in the past if they have been tiling for some years.

Reply to Tiling Onto Floorboards in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks