Discuss Tiling onto existing ceramic floor tiles that were fixed with Bal-Flex onto plywood in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

The hammer

Hi Folks, i have a job to do for a builder who wants me to fix 600x300mm porcelain onto existing ceramic floor tiles that were fixed with Bal-Flex onto plywood, i have told him to remove exising floor but he says the floor is solid, the tiles are well fixed ( been down 10 years) and will be too hard to uplift. i have tried to talk him round to doing it the right way but he is adamant :mad2:

What steps would you recommend ?

Would a decoupling mat be nessecary?

What about adhesive Keraquick & Latex plus ?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Re: Tiling onto existing ceramic floor tiles that were fixed with Bal-Flex onto plywo

hi hammer,as you say i wouldnt touch it personally

T

Time's Ran Out

Re: Tiling onto existing ceramic floor tiles that were fixed with Bal-Flex onto plywo

Bal Flex was an excellent 2 part flexible adhesive and if there are no signs of cracking in the floor, I'd tile on top of those tiles no problem.
If there are signs of cracking go with a decoupling mat.
Remember only you can make the final call and any advice given is in good faith.
P.S. Don't forget to give the original tiles a good clean prior to using the appropriate flexible adhesive.

T

The hammer

Bal Flex was an excellent 2 part flexible adhesive and if there are no signs of cracking in the floor, I'd tile on top of those tiles no problem.
If there are signs of cracking go with a decoupling mat.
Remember only you can make the final call and any advice given is in good faith.
P.S. Don't forget to give the original tiles a good clean prior to using the appropriate flexible adhesive.

Thanks John, no signs of cracking so what would you stick then down with ?

T

Time's Ran Out

For the impervious substrate I'd use a polymer modified adhesive and allow longer than normal before grouting, especially for larger tiles.
Look at the technical data for Mapei - a forum sponsor.

Reply to Tiling onto existing ceramic floor tiles that were fixed with Bal-Flex onto plywood in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks