Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling onto chipboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

P

philrab66

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all
Looking at a job tomorrow and would like to clarify a few things with the experts. Would hardiebacker boards be ok on a chipboard floor with no bounce. And another thing they did mention they wanted same size tiles on floor and walls. This is something I have never done and can not seem to find much information on set out. I understand that you would have to line everything up before you started. I appreciate your help and advise and it has served me well in the past.
Thanks Phil.

OP
L

LM

For this Phil it's much easier to tile the floor first then simply run your wall tiles of your floor joints and you can't go wrong, just spend extra time lining everything out, tripple check it. If you haven't done this before its best to lay full floor tiles out 'dry' and then start to play about with where your lines are gonna hit in relation to window revels, architraves and sanitary ware etc. A self levelling laser makes this task so much easier.

ttt tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you've got to line up floor and wall , foolproof way is tile floor first.
Personally , if substrate is well screwed down use Ditra . Never had a failure , oops shouldn't have said that

OP
P

philrab66

For this Phil it's much easier to tile the floor first then simply run your wall tiles of your floor joints and you can't go wrong, just spend extra time lining everything out, tripple check it. If you haven't done this before its best to lay full floor tiles out 'dry' and then start to play about with where your lines are gonna hit in relation to window revels, architraves and sanitary ware etc. A self levelling laser makes this task so much easier.
Thanks for the advise Lee. I have done a bit of tile before but not had to line both up before. As you have said checking your lay out first and making sure you are not left with any small cuts anywhere.

OP
L

LM

Thanks for the advise Lee. I have done a bit of tile before but not had to line both up before. As you have said checking your lay out first and making sure you are not left with any small cuts anywhere.
Simply spend the time checking and rechecking your lines and where the fall and you'll be fine, it'll be time well spent. It isn't actually all that complicated in a normal room when you approach it like this.

OP
P

philrab66

Simply spend the time checking and rechecking your lines and where the fall and you'll be fine, it'll be time well spent. It isn't actually all that complicated in a normal room when you approach it like this.

My worry was not getting the floor square to the wall and it throwing it all out or am I just over thinking it. I like to go over things before I start because I have found out nothing is easy especially tile. Before I start a tile job I always think to myself that I am going to have a nice easy pleasant day but it never ends up that way.

OP
L

LM

Is this a relatively standard bathroom with nothing unusual about the layout? If so set your floor out square off the door. Make sure to keep all your floor tile joints tight to the spacers (no splaying of the joints) and you can't really go wrong.

OP
W

wozza

You've said you don't know what tile, but they want the same. I'd ask if they are square or rectangle. If rectangle you won't line all the wall and floor joints so this will need to be mentioned before you start.

Reply to Tiling onto chipboard in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock