Discuss Tiling on Tiles in a kitchen in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tom the tiler

Hi guys,
My first time on here and found some interesting information too. I don't do a lot these days, but the wife is requiring changes within the kitchen.
I would like some advice on a project I have, which is to tile my kitchen floor on top of existing tiles. The tiles that are in place are sound,flat and level I have been recommended to seal the existing tiles and to use a flexible adhesive and grout. I would like some advice on the best sealer to use along with the best adhesive and grout. I am led to believe that Mapei is the best but I am willing to take advice from this forum. I also, would like advice on the smallest spacer size to use along with these so-called levelling spacers that are around. The tiles I am laying are similar to laminate flooring boards but narrower so there is a chance the level would be affected.
Thanks guys. (guys is a unisex word and therefore refers to males as well as females) No offence intended.
Tom

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What's the floor like under those tiles? How long have they been down?

I'd avoid lash clips / levelling clips if it's flat.

And 3mm minimum for floor spacer size. It's the british standard. Though depending on the tile type you could do a bit smaller if the sizes on them are spot on. You'd cause yourself issues if the tiles are not bang on.

T

Tom the tiler

Thanks for your reply Dan I appreciate it. The house itself is just 10 years old and the floor is sound, the tiles are all sound too. And you recommend levelling clips yes?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Tom, Welcome.

Lee has suggest some good products there. I used Prim Grip on a ceramic kitchen floor last year. Roll it on with a roller. I gave it a couple of coats, but bear in mind that the drying time could take longer than stated on the tub.

If you are laying wood effect planks then stagger them like this:
tv10br-4.jpg

Go for a 3mm joint as any difference in tile size will show up less.

Good luck.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Dan I appreciate it. The house itself is just 10 years old and the floor is sound, the tiles are all sound too. And you recommend levelling clips yes?
If you're tiling a level floor I totally don't no. I don't think I would on anything personally but some use them.

T

Tom the tiler

If all the tiles are solid and sound then degrease the floor first Tom with something like what's in the link below and then use the below primer and your good to go.

No Nonsense Heavy Duty Degreaser 5Ltr - http://www.NoLinksToThis/p/no-nonsense-heavy-duty-degreaser-5ltr/88668

products - http://www.mapei.com/GB-EN/Products-for-Wooden-Floors/Binders-for-screeds,-smoothing-compounds-and-additives/ECO-PRIM-GRIP
LEE MAC, Thank you for your valuable information I shall purchase these products. Could you offer advice on a suitable Tile Adhesive, I have been recommended Mapei Flexible adhesive, but there is a fair amount of choice & I would like to make the right choice now.

T

Tom the tiler

Tom, Welcome.

Lee has suggest some good products there. I used Prim Grip on a ceramic kitchen floor last year. Roll it on with a roller. I gave it a couple of coats, but bear in mind that the drying time could take longer than stated on the tub.

If you are laying wood effect planks then stagger them like this:
tv10br-4.jpg

Go for a 3mm joint as any difference in tile size will show up less.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice Sean my tiles are exactly the same as the photo you uploaded. However, I am a bit OCD and had planned to stagger the tiles but on a 50-50 basis, but if you give me a reason why I shouldn't lay them this way then I am prepared to take on board your advice.

O

Old Mod

My personal opinion would be to use the clips Tom, you're right in your assumption. With a narrow tile you can end up with an undulating finished surface, very easily done.
The thinnest clips you can purchase are the Rubi at 0.85mm but obviously that's too thin.
Yes BS states 3mm floor joints but most pro tilers now work to 2mm. It'll be a judgement call on the sizing of the tiles tbh mate. If the sizes are spot on, then 2mm will be a breeze. If not, increase your joint as has been suggested.
Stagger the bond as Sean said then use the offcut from the last tile to start the next course, it'll look more naturally like a timber floor and easier to keep flat.
Most tile manufacturers now state no more than a quarter bond because by their very nature, long and thin, they're more likely to be bowed. Tho not all companies suffer this fate.

O

Old Mod

If you suffer OCD, then do not half bond them, you'll end up in the priory before your time Tom.

Oh and welcome to the forum. :)

Reply to Tiling on Tiles in a kitchen in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks