Discuss Tiling on floorboards apologies if done to death in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

john56897452

Hello,

Newbie here I have approx 3m2 floor in an en suite to tile. The floorboards are solid and level. I am laying 10mm star quartz floor tiles that do not (according to tile choice ) require sealing. I understand I need to put a surface down and use flexible adhesive and grout.

My question is what is the thinnest available surface to tile on? The en suite will meet bedroom carpet at the doorway. Also can anyone advise the best products for this and adhesive and grout to finish the job?

Many thanks for your time

John.

Q

Qwerty

Hi John. I would recommend that you use 6mm Marmox, Wedi, Aquapanel or Hardibacker board. This combined with the depth of adhesive to fix them, the adhesive to fix the tiles and the depth of the tiles themselves should meet the height of most carpets & underlay.

As for products, there are many reputable brands out there but try to use the same brand for primer, adhesive and grout. Most brands will recommend a 2 part adhesive for quartz. Have a read of their literature first.

J

john56897452

Thank you for the reply,

It would be good if brands / types of adhesive could be recommended there are so many out there and I have no idea which are to be avoided if any?

Also looking up hardibacker (available at the local B & Q ) a cement based adhesive is required to lay it on floorboards is this flexible?

Again thank you for your time,

Regards

John.

Q

Qwerty

If you're a B&Q coniseiur then stick with a slow set Mapei flexible bagged cement adhesive and you won't go far wrong

Reply to Tiling on floorboards apologies if done to death in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damian
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks