Discuss Tiling On Block Wall in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

average

TF
Reaction score
I've 35sq meters of 100-150mm tiles to be laid onto block walls. I'm wondering will I have to float the walls with sand and cement first for better adhesion for the adhesive or roll on the tile primer or that primer that's used for tiling over tiles. If this was your own job, what way would you do it.

Its a 35sqmeter(32 without doir)bathroom using these small bathroom tiles and I'm thinking maybe 4 or 5 days I should have it done taking into consideration the amount of cuts,holes drilled and beads.

As for laying the tiles, would you cut both corners of the wall or lay 1 time normal and cut at other end of same wall. Reason why I'm asking, this is first time I've tiled a full room using such small tiles, only ever used these tiles on splashbacks.

All advice welcome.

average

TF
Reaction score
if you aint right good at plastering just dryline it with plasterboard, especially with small tiles

I'm sound at the aul plastering but one thing that slipped my mind, how long do I wait until I can tile onto newly floated walls.

As for the OP, is it possible to tile straight onto the block wall or is it best not to.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Id board it mate,quicker and you can tile straight away .
As for tiling on blockwork , it can be done , as long as its flat as a pancake, every block is perfect , then yes spread it on as u would a normal flat wall (powdered addy), but ive very rarly seen a perfectly flat blockwork wall, in fact , never

average

TF
Reaction score
Id board it mate,quicker and you can tile straight away .
As for tiling on blockwork , it can be done , as long as its flat as a pancake, every block is perfect , then yes spread it on as u would a normal flat wall (powdered addy), but ive very rarly seen a perfectly flat blockwork wall, in fact , never

Might just go with what you suggest however, I am always wondering if the dot and dab boarding will fail with the tiles on it.

average

TF
Reaction score
How do you cover the above the door if its boarded. If the board brings me out 15mm(12.5+3mm addy) and say the tile is 6-12mm, when putting a bead on, what about the 15mm board and add behind the bead. How will i close this off. Is it with just grout or sealent?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

ok how good is your rendering and how quick is your tiling if both are good why not lay your tiles into the rendered wall with a slurry backed tiles best way of fixing any tile

Reply to Tiling On Block Wall in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks