Discuss Tiling Nightmare Mosaic Help..... in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

neologic2k

Hi All,

First time in the forum so please bear with me, we are currently mid installation for a new bathroom. We opted to go for one wall complete mosaics a couple of square meters. After getting expensive tiles that come on a 30x30 meshed back, the bathroom fitters were installing them yesterday, and last night the wife and I took a look at where they go to..

maybe we are just being over critical, but some of the patterns are misaligned, some tiles are slightly skewed and others have no gaps what so ever. I've taken a couple of pictures, they havent grouted yet but would very much like to get some feed back on the quality of the job.

Many Thanks, Paul

20150904_045830197_iOS.jpg 20150904_045853640_iOS.jpg 20150904_045918124_iOS.jpg 20150904_045940375_iOS.jpg 20150904_045952662_iOS.jpg 20150904_050000158_iOS.jpg 20150904_050031228_iOS.jpg 20150904_050036670_iOS.jpg 20150904_050053729_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Hi Paul,
Welcome to the forum,
Just a shame it's under these circumstances.

It's a lazy install IMO
A lot more care could have been taken.
Mosaics are difficult to get right, but not impossible, but it's know how.

A percentage of clients are happy with a more rustic look because it is more akin to mosaic in ancient times, and that's very rustic.

However, you want perfection, and if it's technically achievable with your materials, then that's what you should ask for.

Your mosaic look uniformly sized so I don't see why it's not achievable.
Without seeing them I person it's hard to know for sure.

Problem is most people,
(I won't say Tilers because there aware too many bathroom fitters who are not professional Tilers)
Think tiles are tiles, I'm afraid that's an old wives tale.

So it'll be down to your level of acceptance now, what u Feel is or isn't acceptable!
Word of warning tho, what ever is removed is unlikely to be reusable in sheet form. The mesh will be at the very least be so deformed that it'll be unusable, so they'd have to be replaced as individual tiles unless there are replacements.

This is what can be achieved, with patience and know how,
(This is the bit where I get to show off! Haha)!
Follow the link.
Bisazza

N

neologic2k

Thanks 3 fall,

Appreciate you taking the time to reply and share your work.. (which looks awesome!!!) I'm happy with a bit of rustic, but quite frankly we are not happy with the level of detail, the fact that the trim does even match the wall and they are so skewed. Its difficult to know what to do as currently we don't have a bathroom!!

nightmare!! A conversation with the bathroom fitter (watch this space)

Cheers, P

N

neologic2k

So I've just spoken to the fitter and he is going to remove all of the mosaics and re-attach them! he seems to think the mesh will be fine! hummmm not convinced. I'll post some pictures later!

P

O

Old Mod

Wow that was quick and easy! Haha
Well done! :)
Let's hope it works out!
Images will be gratefully received!

Good luck!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Are you sure you've employed an actual tiler? Where did you find them?

N

neologic2k

The kitchen and bathroom were both ordered through Wicks and to be honest we have been thrilled with the level of service and the finish on the kitchen has been ace! So we decided to get the bathroom done as well, the fitter is one that wicks use the guy came round and said he worked with his Dad and he does the tiles.

just out on interest, with the larger tiles, is it right that they are spot pointing them when putting up? I mean with the mosaics they are putting the adhesive on the wall then putting the tile sheet up but the larger tiles they are putting a blob on four corners and then putting on the wall.

Thanks, P

20150615_201012482_iOS.jpg 20150615_201123000_iOS.jpg 20150615_201132000_iOS.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

The kitchen and bathroom were both ordered through Wicks and to be honest we have been thrilled with the level of service and the finish on the kitchen has been ace! So we decided to get the bathroom done as well, the fitter is one that wicks use the guy came round and said he worked with his Dad and he does the tiles.

just out on interest, with the larger tiles, is it right that they are spot pointing them when putting up? I mean with the mosaics they are putting the adhesive on the wall then putting the tile sheet up but the larger tiles they are putting a blob on four corners and then putting on the wall.

Thanks, P

No! No! No!
Not under any circumstance!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i was going to say ive seen a lot worse, then u mentioned dotting the tiles, jesus its rough as a bears *** :(

N

neologic2k

Well we have had a little chat and they agreed to take off the tiles and start again, they had stuck and additional mesh on to the mosaic sheets. Soooooo

This is where we've got to!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That isn't a tiler you're using. If wicked recommended them, they should pay for any damage and sort out an actual tiler that is qualified and has experience and comes with references.

Dot and dabbing tiles isn't the work of a tiler. That's a chancer. Doesn't look like they've set the room out properly or spread the adhesive properly.

N

neologic2k

It's difficult, as you pay for the dry fit via wicks and then negotiate with the fitter on the extras, at least we had a proper sparky... And like I said , the service we have had from wicks has been superb! And the guys that fitted the kitchen were also spot on.

The guy said he started as a tiler, we will see...

N

neologic2k

Ok....

I've just asked him why the dot dab and his reply was, because the walls are rough 5 dot dabs are enough.

Reply to Tiling Nightmare Mosaic Help..... in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks