Discuss Tiling around wood burner in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mike32

Hi all, just after some advice on a suitable adhesive (preferably standard set) and grout that can be used for tiling the walls of an open fireplace containing a wood burner?
Also, the customer is thinking of using ceramic metro tiles, are they suitable?
I've never been asked to do one of these before so just want to make sure that the correct materials are used due to the heat.
Cheers.

I

ISOMAT technical support

Hi, on open fireplace, we would recommend slowset flexible
S1 adhesive and Flexible grout, providing the fire is not open.

Make sure the walls are primed propperly, what is the substrate?

Our AK22 adhesive and Multifil Smalto would be the solution.
If you are tiling over absorbtive substrate you need to use Flexprimer, if you are tiling non-absorbtive substrate like tiles
we would specify Supergrund primer with aggregate.

Any questions let me know
Cheers m

D

Dumbo

If the recess has been used as an open fire previous to having the woodburner there may some contamination in the substrate which could be problematic .

Reply to Tiling around wood burner in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks