Discuss Tiling around window in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Will Blackburn

Hi.

After ripping old tiles off, I noticed that the bottom sill and side panels where padded out with MDF or some other wood. They had done this I assume to get tiles to fit correctly against the window frame.

My question is what should i use to fill out the space before tiling around the window? I am aware of possible water damage/condensation around window.

Should I use ply fill out the space then tile onto the ply?

Should I ply then plasterboard onto the ply?

Or is there a better way to ensure that whatever I tile onto doesn't rot and break away?

Thanks

D

Deleted member 9966

hey Will, do you have a picture of what you're faced with? Can you upload it on here? Then our guys can take a look and advise accordingly.

Thanks
GRR

W

Will Blackburn

hey Will, do you have a picture of what you're faced with? Can you upload it on here? Then our guys can take a look and advise accordingly.

Thanks
GRR
Hi pal

See attached.

The window sill is approx 1 an a bit inches below were the last tile where on the PVC window.

At the top is about half inch and sides are bare brick.

Just want to know whats best to fill this space and sit tiles on?

Thanks
IMG_20170212_120739.jpg
IMG_20170212_120554.jpg
IMG_20170212_120739.jpg IMG_20170212_120554.jpg IMG_20170212_120605.jpg

J

Just Rizzle

id use hardi backer board stick with addy and screw it with a few brick fixings for added strenght on the head

average

TF
Reaction score
You seal all around the window with silicone then float with S&C render and lightly scratch it. That or cement board sapped on with bonding or even tiling Addy, Job done!

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No need for the render if your going to board with cement board, personally, I'd dot and dab backer board( because I always have some in the van) if your going to render just render to right depth, if your going to board, just board it out to the right depth.

average

TF
Reaction score
No need for the render if your going to board with cement board, personally, I'd dot and dab backer board( because I always have some in the van) if your going to render just render to right depth, if your going to board, just board it out to the right depth.

I know but but some people can't source backer boards.

D

Dumbo

Backer are available to some description in most towns . Builders merchants carry them Wickes topps magnets the list goes on . Failing that plaster board . These are the easiest opens .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Plasterboard and plasterboard adhesive. Or double tile with off cuts and cement based adhesive...?

S

SJPurdy

If you can get it one of the insulating tile backer boards (Wedi, Marmox etc.) would be my preference so that you do not get cold spots on the tiling causing condensation.
Check the set out of the tiling before fixing the sill because sometimes you may be able to adjust the sill height to match perfectly to a horizontal tiling joint.

Reply to Tiling around window in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks