Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Do any of you guys have an apprentice? I see threads quite often where established tilers discourage tile courses that are not involved in apprenticeships, and even sometimes knock the NVQ system. So wondering if any of those guys, or other tilers, have taken on apprentices or considered taking on any at any point in time.

S

SCCB

I stand corrected, I have just spoken to Tracy Kerr who is out go to guru for apprenticeships.
the total funding for the full frame work is up to £12,000 for 1 apprentice.

Here is some of the criteria.

Apprentice needs to be 16-24
You need to employ less than 50 employees
they need to complete all the frame work..
£12.000 wow........

If your thinking of apprentices then call Tracy on 07787004710 we have had apprentices from as far as Bristol.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wow.......Some of you lot haven't got teenage kids then.
And don't really think you should be taring them all with the same brush.
From my understanding an apprentice gets £2.50 an hour and under 18 get minimum wage of £3:60 an hour hardly a fortune.....my daughter at college full time learning hairdressing. ...her spare time and weekends are spent working in shops for for that poltry £3:60 an hour ...slave labour Imo. ...should at least be the propper min wage of nearly £7 .......No wonder the kids get disheartened. .

B

bcd-87

Hi All

It's tough going with a apprentice/labourer/scumer...
what ever we call them...

Iv had a guy 3 days a week for about a year and it's not worked out as well as I'd hoped.. He done college passed and I quote " I would never have passed if I hadent worked for you " I took that as a thank you as that's all he said !! He's lost a lot of his enthusiasm and drive recently as he's been experiencing the really world, going out meeting the general public and pricing jobs and not getting them... He's 31 and got kids I thought I would be liveing all the crap behind with the 17,18,18 yrs old but it's just different kind of BS. Sorry to be a Debbie downer on a Friday

Peace and love

B

bcd-87

£1500 grant. iirc

i cant even get my mate who works for me now and again buzzed about tile. thinks its boring and hes a decorator !!!

Lol... Beacause painting is so exciting.. My dads a painter he's the boreingest Man I know

B

bcd-87

I keep thinking about taking a kid on (got a kid begging at the mo. nice lad, works hard and can be trusted apparently as he works for a mate day to day labouring) but if I'm honest I'm wondering how it would benefit me. Can't seem to find any info on grants etc so is it just the extra pair of hands I'll get out of it? And what should you be paying an apprentice?
It concerns me that I could be training someone up, funding their mistakes and learning, giving them your time/secrets and tips and after all that a couple of years down the line they leave and become your competition!

Sort of the situation I find myself in or potentionaly could find myself in..

AWOL

TF
Reaction score
I’m from Poole Dorset work for housing association have done lots of kitchen tile a lot of metro/mosaic quite a few bathrooms mid size tiles a couple of concrete floors 90% of the time the walls are to bare brick or walls are all over the place but always get over it nice and flat to a good standard ...done lots of private work and put right work they had done and get lots of calls to do floor tile on wooden floors but not ever used matting or done under floor heating and also have been asked to do wet/shower rooms but never tanked out a room or used large format tiles ....what I’m trying to say is I love tile having a challenge want to do more earn more get into all aspects of tile I’m a bloody good hard working who has been used for the last 13 years to do all the crap and put right others lazy sods mistakes I’m 48 and anyone wiling to take me on to learn all aspects of tile and to earn some good money and a good career I’m here if not just tag along when I can free of charge to learn a bit more to get out on my own thanx sorry to bore you ....

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just taken on my 18 yr old boy around four months ago.unfortunately in wales there is no college courses he can go on.I'm quite shocked at how he is coming on.he's keen,enthusiastic and seems to enjoy grouting ??? In around two years he will be joining the navy and sailing the seven seas,but at least he will have some experience of the real world beforehand.

Reply to Tiling Apprenticeships - Who's Currently Got An Apprentice? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock