Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling; a new direction? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

R

RayL12

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello all :)

My name is er, Ray. I'm in Rochdale, 10 miles north east Manchester, aged 64 and, 'kicked' into looking at being employed for the future. Which, upon reflection, may be better than the option I had planned for this time. Deciding on a future career and my up and coming pension, I took on a level 2 diploma; wall & floor tile course. 3 days a week; 16 weeks. I am in my 6 week and I am learning as we go :)

I have been reading some threads in here and learned from them. I have also read and seen stuff that is daunting, things I feel are years ahead of me. Therefor, I think this is the place to be.

Between 81 and 98 I was a roofer. A slater & tiler with a soul trader until 87 when, I set up for myself and took on design & build. Mainly floor-level flat roof conversions which, were, a satisfying piece of work. Working with lines and profile brought out some nice finishes.

2005 I found myself in hard landscaping. I spent some nice times in scenic areas and waterways. Then there were the times when I was part of large area clean-ups which, were not so pleasant. The recession of 2009 put paid to that. What I had as a pension had to be spent just to stay in my flat. So, now I have to make new plans.

I need a skill I can take into pension age. And tile seems a well balanced form of work and, it has it's creative side. All previous types of work came back to haunt me when I stopped doing them, including 22 years of dancing for many, many of hours a week. Having done very little since 2010, other than lie down or, sit at the PC, by the time 2013 came, I had a very painful frozen spine. I knew what was happening because it happened when I gave up 18 years of roofing; the heavily used joints grew into each other. I knew it would be a 7-8 year journey in and out and, now, I'm 'out'. Very loose and flexible. Just shy of work strength.

So I look forward to where this may take me. I can see it being a really satisfying job that, because it's enjoyable, isn't work at all. And, it's simple minded enough, -when you know your trade, that is-, to have your mind to yourself while producing something nice. Time flies. Win win.

I prefer to hook up with some one who knows the trade, and be a side-kick. Maybe mix things up? I don't have interest in site work. I've done some of that under agencies and suffered one way or other. Not for me.

So, I'll keep reading and, I'm sure you will hear from me one way or other :)

...Ray.

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

My first thoughts were don't start!
But it went on to be one of the better introductions to the forum and by the end I'am wishing you Good Luck.
This is the best job in the industry and its great fun and well rewarded.
Enjoy.

OP
L

LM

We'll Ray I seemed to have missed this intro until now after you referred me back to it from another post. I wish you good luck with it all and look forward to your posts :)

OP
I

Ian

Welcome along to TF Ray, it's a shame you've had to even think about retraining at 64, you should be enjoying the fruits of all your years of hard graft. I wish you all the best and hope tile ends up being more of a hobby that you enjoy, rather than a must do means to earn money. But a lotto ticket, it sounds like you deserve a bit of good fortune.

OP
R

RayL12

Thanks all :)

Well, Bri, as I said, maybe this 'revitalisation' isn't a bad thing? I was thinking of growing down but, maybe not? I'll be healthier for a bit of work. I always thought retirement was a dodgy thing when, as a kid, I saw retirees getting a clock. I remember thinking, that's convoluted? And, that is what has happened.

So, I'm hoping to progress for the better. For a very long time in my life I was lucky enough to be able to determine when I work. Other than when I was hardlandscaping. I like the idea of choice.

Haha, good on yer, Lee. :) Cheers.

I understand there becomes a time when you stop looking so far back. I've been in positions where I have seen many come & go. Some I have been glad to meet, if only for a short time. I guess we all know that :)

So, yeah, I'm ready and learning. And tonight was just looking through the newer thread and the one stating tool prices. Damn, just basic tools alone would be some set-up cost. I set my roofing business up with a car; domestic ladder, hammer and saw.

So, any jobs where a tile doesn't need cutting, I'm your man.

...Ray.

OP
R

RayL12

Hi Lou, very helpful place. Complete in many ways.

..and, no one has told me to get out, yet. So, I have hope :)

Reply to Tiling; a new direction? in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock