Discuss Tiling a concrete floor in a room that used to be outside in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Susiequ

TF
Reaction score
I have been asked to tile a concrete floor (not seen yet) that was an outside floor but has been incorporated into a house. It lets damp through. What prep is needed?

D

Dumbo

Damp is an issue that can be solved with liquid dpm . Some adhesive manufacturers do them but what about insulation . Has this extension got any building control on it as I'm sure it should have some insulation in the floor slab to pass . Probably something like 75mm celotex.

Susiequ

TF
Reaction score
I have no more info so far. I'm hoping to go see it later today and will get back to you then. Is dpm easy to apply?

D

Dumbo

I have no more info so far. I'm hoping to go see it later today and will get back to you then. Is dpm easy to apply?
I've never done it . But should be pretty straightforward look up products on websites of adhesive manufacturers firstly .

I

Italy

If I understand it well. moisture rising from the ground ??.
Mapei, mapelastic foundation.
First, specific primer.
The cement must be dry before application.

S

Spacey

The only only manufacturer I know of that says you can use there product on concrete with no mechanical dpm under the slab is Ardex 1C but that is dependent on where the property is on the water table as hydrostatic pressure can potentially blow the dpm and anything on top of it off the slab if its low enough on the table.

O

Old Mod

Just make sure you apply the liquid dpm to the correct thickness or it will be ineffective.
If you get more coverage than it says, it's too thin.

The only only manufacturer I know of that says you can use there product on concrete with no mechanical dpm under the slab is Ardex 1C

Or this

Tilemaster liquid DPM

S

Spacey

Just make sure you apply the liquid dpm to the correct thickness or it will be ineffective.
If you get more coverage than it says, it's too thin.

Or this

Tilemaster liquid DPM

Haven't seen this before but I do use superflow30 I'll look into it

Most epoxy liquid dpms are applied with an A2 notch fan trowel and then rolled with a fine roller.
This thickness is measure in microns
It shouldn't be laid to thick either

Reply to Tiling a concrete floor in a room that used to be outside in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks