Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tiling a balcony on the east coast in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all .. I'm after some advise on tile adhesives and grout to use on an external first floor balcony 3 metres by 6 metres that overlooks the coast , It is very much open to all weathers , wind , sea salt air , sunshine and harsh cold winters .. I've been commissioned to do this job which has previously been tanked out and guaranteed waterproof membrane and screeds .. problem is that the tiles laid by the builders some 3 years ago have started lifting and sound hollow when tapped ... I've lifted some up ( by hand ) and it is possible that the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ used was not a flexible high quality brand and possibly the grout too .. so hence heat / cold and all weather elements have made tiles loose and cracked grout as water is evident upon lifting these tiles up ... there is absolutely no failure in the tanking and waterproof screed as ceiling in room below is unaffected ..I'm going to strip all old tiles up clean screed and let it air dry and breath over a four week period then to rest tile and grout ... can anyone please suggest top quality materials I need to do this job to the high standard I need to achieve for me to to guarantee for the customer ,,, thanks in advance , steve

T

Time's Ran Out

Bal will also do a site visit and provide you with a specification sheet for your guidance.

O

One Day

BAL won't touch balconies that aren't concrete construction.
If the balcony has already been waterproofed, then a simple uncoupling / drainage layer will work, as Lee Mac has said - Ditra Drain.
If you need to incorporate waterproofing AND drainage, then it becomes a whole lot more difficult.

T

Time's Ran Out

Got all the help I needed from them earlier in the year.
Where does the OP tell you it's not concrete construction or am I missing something?

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies .. yes balcony is of sound concrete in construction and has good falls and also into a drain . So I'm probably best then would you say to maybe phone a bal helpline and speak and ask of there products to complete this job ? Or would I jst be ok using any brand flexible s1 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and flexi grout ?

B

Blunt Tool

BAL new product might be of interest IMG_0891.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks callatiler for forwarding on the aquadrain demo video ,, but the balcony in question already has excellent waterproofing and drainage .. I'm mainly after the advice of best adhesives and grout that will withstand all weather extremes as the balcony really is open to all elements.. thanks anyway

B

Blunt Tool

Thanks callatiler for forwarding on the aquadrain demo video ,, but the balcony in question already has excellent waterproofing and drainage .. I'm mainly after the advice of best adhesives and grout that will withstand all weather extremes as the balcony really is open to all elements.. thanks anyway
External tiling systems for balconies, roof terraces and ground floor terraces | - http://specifiersguide.co.uk/home/external-tiling-systems-for-balconies-roof-terraces-and-ground-floor-terraces/

O

One Day

Reply to Tiling a balcony on the east coast in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock