Discuss Tiles cracking, is it the adhesive or something else? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

Exhausted all options in looking at this.

So. Plastered walls, primed, Weber set rapid, Homelux wall matting, more Weber set rapid, 300x100 Metro Matt White tiles

Just in the shower area, the tiles have very badly cracked (no the weren't crackled finish to start with :)).

I have aske the customer for a method statement from the tiler, which is how I got the above info. He gave us everything except the trowel size he used for both putting the matting on and the tiles. He refused to give us this as he believes that whatever he says, we'll say its wrong but that isn't the case.

I have spoken to the tile factory and they have said, that using a rapidset too thick depth, is the reason. Anyone else got any ideas?
photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 5.JPG

S

SJPurdy

How does the factory know that the adhesive was to thick unless they have removed some tiles?
I would think it will have to be fairly thick for the curing shrinkage to cause this cracking, probably thicker than you could practically put behind wall tiles (but then I've seen allsorts in the past!). I think obviously the cracked tiles will need replacing and then you will be able to see if the fixing was incorrect.
I don't understand why the tiler wont say what notch size trowel (if any) he used, but without further evidence!!

C

Colour Republic

I assume the tile manufacturer puts that on the side of the boxes then?:rolleyes:

Just how thick could he have put it on anyway?

Internal corners look grouted rather than silicones, but I can't see that causing such wide spread damage.

S

SJPurdy

I do note on a second look at the pics that there doesn't seem to be a flexible silicone rubber seal in the corner. There should be but I don't think that that alone will be the cause of the cracks.

T

Tile Shop

It was first noticed after 2 months of use. The factories technical team admitted that the had come across this problem before (not on the same tile) and in 80% of failures, adhesive thickness/shrinkage was the issue. They haven't physically seen the job and as yet the tiles haven't been taken down. They are making the assumption based on past issues.

We are going to re-supply the tiles as a goodwill gesture. So I'm hoping that the customer can get the guy back FOC to start with, rip a few off, send us images or we send one of our ASM's out to visit so we can see the wall. But at the moment, the fitter is saying point blank he won't go back unless paid because once again the fitter is always right, it has been fitted professionally, perfectly and by the book, and once again, it is the tile that is at fault and not him....

So as not to taint the tiling profession, the fitter is a plumber. Not saying thats a bad thing and he may be very good. But it is very unlikey to be a tile issue. over 2000 sq.mtrs supplied in 3 months and this is the only complaint. Although I will hold my hands up if the tile is deemed to be faulty.

My job sucks sometimes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
image.jpg

Possibly movement in the substrate, the grout line has cracked in the corner (terrible job those would have looked lovely scribed in and a small band of silicone) and is following the crack in the tile.

Whatever the reason the solution is the same. Needs coming off and redoing.

Reaction score
my thought straight away was the corners, then have started to think there could be movement hence the cracks?

Not the best tiling ive seen TBH

J

Just Rizzle

had a job a few yrs ago washed the grout off using warm water and the grout started to craze.
the job was beginning of the year and the tiles were stored in our lock up onsite think the out side temp was minus 10 the job was a car auction build at black bush were that plane came down last month
the crazing was caused by not acclimatizing the tiles befor fixing and grouting

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
had a job a few yrs ago washed the grout off using warm water and the grout started to craze.
the job was beginning of the year and the tiles were stored in our lock up onsite think the out side temp was minus 10 the job was a car auction build at black bush were that plane came down last month
the crazing was caused by not acclimatizing the tiles befor fixing and grouting

So this would go hand in hand with the heat from rapid set as it chemically hydrates .. The thicker the bed the more heat is potential..

Reply to Tiles cracking, is it the adhesive or something else? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks