Discuss Tiler messed up - what are my options? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

TomR

TF
Reaction score
We are renovating our house and currently the kitchen is being tiled. The tiles are 60x30 and the original tiler indicated these will need to be laid in thirds (rather than half offset) as the tiles can be slightly bowed, and this will minimise the effect - it actually shows this on the tile's packaging as well.

Unfortunately, due to other delays they are using someone else to lay the tiles and despite my request, have laid it half offset. Essentially my question is, if left as it is, will this be problematic in the future? The build is already massively delayed and the tiles used were from a limited stock, so may not be replaceable - I have been in contact with the tradesmen we are using and have advised them of the situation and fully expect them to rectify the issue at no extra cost - but, if it the issue is mostly aesthetic, I would consider it acceptable for money to be taken off the final payment and they continue to complete the work (currently about 50% of tiles laid but not grouted yet).

O

One Day

anything in writing, text or email? If not - then "DOH!"
If the 1/2 bond isn't causing any issues with lippage, then I don't think you've any chance of getting it rectified.
Please forgive the blunt question, but are you trying to simply secure money off, first and foremost?
If aesthetics are SO important, I really expect my clients to communicate it in writing, for their benefit and mine.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
We are renovating our house and currently the kitchen is being tiled. The tiles are 60x30 and the original tiler indicated these will need to be laid in thirds (rather than half offset) as the tiles can be slightly bowed, and this will minimise the effect - it actually shows this on the tile's packaging as well.

Unfortunately, due to other delays they are using someone else to lay the tiles and despite my request, have laid it half offset. Essentially my question is, if left as it is, will this be problematic in the future? The build is already massively delayed and the tiles used were from a limited stock, so may not be replaceable - I have been in contact with the tradesmen we are using and have advised them of the situation and fully expect them to rectify the issue at no extra cost - but, if it the issue is mostly aesthetic, I would consider it acceptable for money to be taken off the final payment and they continue to complete the work (currently about 50% of tiles laid but not grouted yet).

Hi, unless there is a lippage issue,as you say it's an aesthetic problem. ( as your preferred option has not been strictly followed) I think with this size of tile in a bonding arrangement,half bond is more prevalent. Not sure about your thinking behind the payment deduction.

TomR

TF
Reaction score
Thanks all - I presume the "no" is in response to "will this be problematic in the future?".

Yes, I did message the contractors in writing before they started work requesting this (even produced an illustration to indicate how I wanted it done - all in email). It isn't *really* causing a problem (I've attached an image for clarification along with an image of the packaging ), I just want to know whether it worth the "agony" of insisting it's done to my requested specification, or am I better off negotiating a discount on the remaining payment as my request was ignored. I probably wouldn't be so concerned, just the initial tiling subcontractor highlighted this and was adamant this is how he would lay them, and now someone has gone against his professional advice. I'm coming from a position of very limited knowledge of this field, so apologies if my questions appear frivolous.

IMG_20170707_192502.jpg
IMG_20170707_192746.jpg

O

One Day

Ok, so it doesn't look too bad. I can spot a few areas of unevenness which could have been improved on a 1/3 bond perhaps.
Notice how the box recommends a 7mm MINIMUM grout joint?! Crazy.
If I goofed and went against written instructions - accidental or not, I wouldn't be against compensating, but in all honesty I would really choke at anything more than 20% off.

O

On one

Admittedly there may have been a lack of communication between all parties involved, but I can see why the tiler has chosen the 1/2 bond method.......aesthetically pleasing vista between the wall and the kitchen unit.

O

On one

If it was me I would always want to speak personaly with the customer regarding setting out

T

Time's Ran Out

You turn up to tile a job , some other tiler said this, box said this, instinct said this! Why the hell do they make tiles and tell you they have to be fixed 1/3 joint on a small tile - because they are *****!! But half way through they want a discount / I'd walk and tell them to keep the job. Looks better 1/2 bond anyway / but what do I know.

TomR

TF
Reaction score
@wrighty actually they did ask, and I've attached my response - I guess I wasn't particularly definitive about my request, but again this was only going off the advice from the previous installer (who is a tiler by trade) so I could only reiterate his suggestion

@timeless john fair enough, but bear in mind I have no experience in this field. I have one person (whose is a tiler first and foremost by trade) give me advice on how a job should be done (as I actually asked for it to be laid offset by half when initially consulted) and then this is advice is not followed through, it leaves me in a difficult position as I am unsure of the implications of this. They've already had to reinstall the underfloor heating once, would removing the tiles require that to be redone again? Would the bowing make the floor surface uneven to the point of being a trip hazard? Could it become worse over time? I do like the way it looks, but am concerned about any wider implications and only feel that, as a customer, my request was ignored and the work was done against the advice of other professionals, so is substandard in the eyes of the profession and deserves compensation.

email.png

Reply to Tiler messed up - what are my options? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks