Discuss tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
What was the construction of the tray? is it suitable for smaller mosaic tiles? they look like the ones from topps which are about 40mm or so. A fair few wet room trays aren't suitable for smaller mosaic tiles due to point loading so it may all be a non starter anyway. But the answer to your original question is yes you can remove tiles, slow going, very slow going with a grinder you can cut down to remove material but i wouldn't advise this be done by anyone but a competent tiler.

L

LM

I wouldnt want that cowboy back, I'd demand a refund plus costs!
If your happy that you have tanked it properly yourself with the fact that you've used a system from a manufacturer that can be regarded as one of the most advanced out there then you should have no problem removing the poor cuts around the grate. My confidence in this comes from the fact that the tiling is so poor that I doubt the tiles in situ have been well fixed.

S

SpItal_Jeff

I wouldnt want that cowboy back, I'd demand a refund plus costs!
If your happy that you have tanked it properly yourself with the fact that you've used a system from a manufacturer that can be regarded as one of the most advanced out there then you should have no problem removing the poor cuts around the grate. My confidence in this comes from the fact that the tiling is so poor that I doubt the tiles in situ have been well fixed.

"Demand a refund" is easy to say. HOW? How do you demand a refund? There is nothing apart from the threat of naming the tiler that I have in my power to use in order to demand a refund. The best I can hope is that he will willingly return and fix the work, assuming that it can be fixed.

"Rip it up and start again" is also an easy thing to suggest...However that would involve an additional £1,000 (probably more) in costs.

At this stage, being realistic, all I can do is ask the tiler that did the work to rectify the problem. There is no other option.

L

LM

I never suggested rip it up and start again!

You can do as you wish, but you come across a bit brash.
That may cost you in potential advise.
As they say "it's all in the WAY you ask"

O

Old Mod

I've been watching this thread from the start, and whilst Mark's (impish) comments about you being stressed had some foundation, you are now beginning to push your welcome here.
This is an excellent forum with excellent advice, I urge you not to be aggressive in the manner that you post.
There is absolutely no need for it, we all have opinions, and they may well differ from yours.
As the Americans might say, "get over yourself!" We're trying to help, we see this everyday of the week, whether it be here or on the job, and we DO know what we're talking about.
After all, that's why you're here isn't it?
So I'm sorry if you don't like all the opinions directed at your problem, take the ones you like, and suck the rest up!
Admin.

S

SpItal_Jeff

I've been watching this thread from the start, and whilst Mark's (impish) comments about you being stressed had some foundation, you are now beginning to push your welcome here.
This is an excellent forum with excellent advice, I urge you not to be aggressive in the manner that you post.
There is absolutely no need for it, we all have opinions, and they may well differ from yours.
As the Americans might say, "get over yourself!" We're trying to help, we see this everyday of the week, whether it be here or on the job, and we DO know what we're talking about.
After all, that's why you're here isn't it?
So I'm sorry if you don't like all the opinions directed at your problem, take the ones you like, and suck the rest up!
Admin.

Thats completely baseless and unhelpful. I have in no way been rude, or in need to be told to "get over myself". I certainly have not been aggressive. Forums quite often seem to get off track, and result in mostly unhelpful answers requiring people to sift through to find something useful. In my previous post I was merely pointing out that it is easy to suggest throwing money away, when the money in question is not your own. I very well may have no option but to "start again", and I take all of the suggestions in and and appreciate all of the opinions, which, as you point out, I asked for.

Although to be fair, my initial question was "Can it be fixed" and I think it took about 12 posts to get an answer on that one. But thats par for the course.

O

Old Mod

Then you need to re back the posts, I am one of several that has seen aggression in your manner.
So my post is hardly baseless.
But the question you ask is impossible to answer, if you as educated as you appear to be, then you know that removing the tiles without damaging the waterproof membrane you installed is exactly 50/50 yet you're searching for a definitive answer.
It doesn't exist, only conjecture.
And we have to assume that you installed it correctly.

If forums give you hump so much because it takes TWELVE posts to get an answer, firstly you must have visited a LOT of forums to come to that conclusion, and secondly why come back!
That's rhetorical!
And yes, your manner is aggressive as far as we are concerned, but that's subjective I suppose.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Then you need to re back the posts, I am one of several that has seen aggression in your manner.
So my post is hardly baseless.
But the question you ask is impossible to answer, if you as educated as you appear to be, then you know that removing the tiles without damaging the waterproof membrane you installed is exactly 50/50 yet you're searching for a definitive answer.
It doesn't exist, only conjecture.
And we have to assume that you installed it correctly.

If forums give you hump so much because it takes TWELVE posts to get an answer, firstly you must have visited a LOT of forums to come to that conclusion, and secondly why come back!
That's rhetorical!
And yes, your manner is aggressive as far as we are concerned, but that's subjective I suppose.

Please advise how I have been aggressive?

I (personally) have never tiled a wet room, and thus was unaware if there was a "technique" for removing the tiles without causing damage to the tray. My concern was for the plastic infil panel which houses the drain. This is obviously thin and brittle and held in with a waterproof adhesive to the main tray. You say the chance of removing the tiles is 50/50...That is an answer. Thank you. I guess it is just a case of get him back; get him to remove the tiles, while I closely inspect the work, and should there be any damage to the tray, request him to replace it, or at the least provide a full refund. Fair enough. That is the answer which I suppose I was looking for.

O

Old Mod

That's the problem, when an install goes wrong, it's rarely one thing, but an accumulation of minor errors that lead to failure.
We do our best to advise with the amount of information we receive and it's honesty, it's not always cut and dry I'm afraid.
Glad we could help.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If he refuses to put it right then threaten to take him to the small claims court to regain your losses..

Assuming Sam the man down the pub didn't do it for cash..

S

SpItal_Jeff

If he refuses to put it right then threaten to take him to the small claims court to regain your losses..

Assuming Sam the man down the pub didn't do it for cash..

No. It wasn't "Sam the man" but I've never met a tiler who works for anything other than cash.

At this juncture I am being realistic. Ask him to put it right and take it from there. Personally, I don't think I see how it can be fixed now without removing the full floor. What annoys me the most is that the one reason I didn't do this job myself is because a wet room needs to be done right and I was scared of making an expensive mistake. While the tiling may not be perect, I can live with it. I know the tanking underneath IS perfect. But he, who has done 80 wet rooms, and had used these exact tiles before, made a mistake at the single most important and crucial part of the job....and it's now causing me sleepless nights.

I've tried gently prying up the tiles; there is no movement. I'm worried about cracking the plastic drain or citing through the wet board. And if he does come and fix it I won't know for a long time if that joint it still waterproof.

My plan is, assuming he agrees to come back; inspect the tray closely after he has removed the tiles and make a judgement call.

Personally I don't think small claims court is an option. It only leads to more loses and frustration with no guarantees odd a favorable outcome.

Reaction score
Can it be fixed? How?

My question is CAN IT BE FIXED?

I did the waterproofing so I know it exists. That isn't the question.

THE TILES SURROUNDING THE DRAIN NEED TO BE REMOVED. CAN THIS BE DONE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE TRAY? HOW?

SO CAN IT BE FIXED WITHOUT DAMAGING THE SHOWER TRAY? How?

Excellent thread, not the most complex of threads, but an enjoyable one to read, by the way, I don't get out much.

After re-reading many of the posts I think I understand the question.
We're wanting a definite answer, non of this advise lark, a simple Yes, or No.

A yes or no, based on a total stranger being able to do a slow and steady tile removal, bash, chisel, scrape all adhesive away, type of job. Then obviously re-fit correctly with absolutely zero damage.

My answer is:

No.

Thanks.

S

SpItal_Jeff

Excellent thread, not the most complex of threads, but an enjoyable one to read, by the way, I don't get out much.

After re-reading many of the posts I think I understand the question.
We're wanting a definite answer, non of this advise lark, a simple Yes, or No.

A yes or no, based on a total stranger being able to do a slow and steady tile removal, bash, chisel, scrape all adhesive away, type of job. Then obviously re-fit correctly with absolutely zero damage.

My answer is:

No.

Thanks.

Let's not start this again!

No; I was not looking for a definitive yes or no. I was looking for the opinions from people in the trade whom I assume would have encountered a mistake or two before as to if the tiles can be removed without causing damage to the integrity of the shower tray. ..and if they can, what would be the best way to (edge your bets) remove them. I was going on the assumption that there might be a "trick of the trade" to get the tile up and fix the job without a complete removal.

I dont think it should be too far fetched to come to a tiling forum to look for that sort of advice?

D

Dumbo

No. It wasn't "Sam the man" but I've never met a tiler who works for anything other than cash.

At this juncture I am being realistic. Ask him to put it right and take it from there. Personally, I don't think I see how it can be fixed now without removing the full floor. What annoys me the most is that the one reason I didn't do this job myself is because a wet room needs to be done right and I was scared of making an expensive mistake. While the tiling may not be perect, I can live with it. I know the tanking underneath IS perfect. But he, who has done 80 wet rooms, and had used these exact tiles before, made a mistake at the single most important and crucial part of the job....and it's now causing me sleepless nights.

I've tried gently prying up the tiles; there is no movement. I'm worried about cracking the plastic drain or citing through the wet board. And if he does come and fix it I won't know for a long time if that joint it still waterproof.

My plan is, assuming he agrees to come back; inspect the tray closely after he has removed the tiles and make a judgement call.

Personally I don't think small claims court is an option. It only leads to more loses and frustration with no guarantees odd a favorable outcome.
I never work for cash . Perhaps you could threaten him with the tax man . I'm sure he would love an in investigation.

Reply to tiler made a mistake tiling a wetroom tray in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks