Discuss Three tiles have fell off, how do i refix them? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Three tiles fell off my wall in my kitchen, and underneath I scraped off the combed white tile adhesive and also another white layer with a knife. It exposed some gypsum and paper like material underneath.
I used three parts water to one part granfix acrylic primer but I read on this page Applying primer - advice please :-) - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/applying-primer-advice-please.30387/ that it reacts to gypsum.
What does it do to gypsum?
I am panicking, because there is a crawlspace behind the kitchen with timbers and the crawlspace belongs to the buildilng owner as I am leaseholder of a flat.
What will the granfix do to the gypsum. on this page Applying primer - advice please :-) - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/applying-primer-advice-please.30387/ someone said this "You just need the neat coats on their own when using cement based as it reacts with the gypsum plaster background"
What do they mean by granfix reacting with gypsum background and what can I do to correct the situation please. Here is a picture of the mess I made.
Before the thin coat of granfix dried, I put on another neat coat directly onto the gypsum. I need to know what it will do to the gypsum.
Will I have to have it replastered?
I'm really worried cos i have no money snd the whole kitchen needs doing really.
Will the granfix ruin the gypsum? How does it react, sorry to be in such a panic, but I got really scared when I read the above quote from the thread linked above
Thanks
tiles.jpg

Reaction score
thanks for everones input, problem solved, got some evo stick for tiles in a gun and gonna grout tomorrow, tiles now stuck to the wall harder than ever.

Reaction score
Sounds like silicone!!! Got a picture if the evo stik product?
Yeah, here it is, says its suitable for tiles. I just squirted a little circle of it in the middle of the tile and the tiles are now stuck harder to the wall than ever. I left a 1 inch gap so that the glue would not squirt out of the sides of the tiles, as I need to grout them tomorrow.
See below, have I done the right thing?
thanks
IMG_20170324_221006870.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm

Not really the way it's done to be honest. But it's done now. Just grout it tomorrow.

Send us a pic of the finished project. :D :D :D

Reaction score
Hmmmmmm

Not really the way it's done to be honest. But it's done now. Just grout it tomorrow.

Send us a pic of the finished project. :D :D :D
Not really the way it's done, can you elaborate where I went wrong please?
1)Is it likely to damage the gypsum plaster? (IMPORTANT)
2) Did I leave too large a gap - should i have put glue closer to the edge?
2)Even though they seem stuck fast, are they likely to fall off?
3)I'm using unibond tile grout suitable for kitchens and bathrooms.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
No it's fine don't worry about it.

You usually tile with tile adhesive and grout with tile grout though.

Reaction score
No it's fine don't worry about it.

You usually tile with tile adhesive and grout with tile grout though.
Thanks for speedy reply, just used evo cos it was only three tiles.
Will the evo stik damage the gypsum, like have a chemical reaction to it?
It seems stuck fast and secure at the moment, but worried it may loosen in future?
Is unibond grout ok?
PS I left the granfix primer on, but only one neat coat on top of a weak 1 part granflix to 3 parts water.
thanks

F

Flintstone

I don't think you needed to bother with primer when using that glue in a tube, it sticks anything to anything and for this job for you, it's fine. It wouldn't worry. Just grout it with whatever grout you have

Reaction score
No
No
Yes
thanks sorry to bother you again, I left the primer on, first coat 3 parts water to one part granfix, and then before 1st coat dried, I put one more neat coat of granfix on, the night before sticking the tiles on, is that ok, sorry to bother you.

Reply to Three tiles have fell off, how do i refix them? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks