Discuss Tanking Tape Install Help in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Crumbs

Hi, I have purchased a aquaseal waterproofing tanking kit, we have a bathtub with a shower over it. Bathtub is already installed many moons ago and not really equipped to remove it.

We have silconed between the bath (half filled) and the wall slightly below bath level. What i am unsure off is the tape that comes in the kit, similar to the BAL and Mapei stuff but a little thicker i think - do we apply it to the edge of the bath to meet the wall? or is just cornors / joints on the plasterboard?

I called everbuild about this and one said dont, another said you can - i only want to do it if its the norm and needed? The only defence is the silcone if i dont around the bath edge? Much appreciated :rolleyes::rolleyes:

L

LM

PVC Trade Shower Bath Trim Five Pack All UK
Use it inconjunction with one of these. Prime your walls and allow to dry. Apply a first coat of tanking paste and allow to dry.
Install the Sealux and over lap the part that sits against the wall with a band of tanking tape horizontally right around then apply a piece of tape to the vertical corner and then give a final coat of tanking paste over all the vertical surfaces

C

Crumbs

Thanks Lee, that looks good but is it tricky to install? Can i use any silcone thats mould resistant with it or do i need there sealux stuff.

What i initially am thinking when i see that is the level of the walls after the tape and sealux seal is installed onto the wall vs above it, does that not pose a problem in getting a good bed of addy without having to put extra for the restof the wall to meet the level. The walls were a mess and its taken some effort to get them level as much as possible to help tiling. thank you :)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
PVC Trade Shower Bath Trim Five Pack All UK
Use it inconjunction with one of these. Prime your walls and allow to dry. Apply a first coat of tanking paste and allow to dry.
Install the Sealux and over lap the part that sits against the wall with a band of tanking tape horizontally right around then apply a piece of tape to the vertical corner and then give a final coat of tanking paste over all the vertical surfaces

They are awful trims. Whenever I rip a bathroom out with those on, it's always mouldy underneath. ( look awful too) :D
Just cut down the tape, so it sits 10mm onto the bath. Put masking tape on the bath up to the edge of the tanking tape. Then tank the walls.
After that, tile within 5mm of the bath, grout as usual ( not onto the bath) then silicone the joint.

L

LM

Thanks Lee, that looks good but is it tricky to install? Can i use any silcone thats mould resistant with it or do i need there sealux stuff.

What i initially am thinking when i see that is the level of the walls after the tape and sealux seal is installed onto the wall vs above it, does that not pose a problem in getting a good bed of addy without having to put extra for the restof the wall to meet the level. The walls were a mess and its taken some effort to get them level as much as possible to help tiling. thank you :)
No not at all, it's only about 2mm depth in total, ehich is easily catered for with a 10mm notch. If you follow the instructions for installation exactly there's no problem with mild etc underneath as the void is completely filed with sealux's antibacterial silicone. For a diy'er this is easy, not fiddley at all.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Swear we had this same thread the other day.

I'll find it when I have more time. I'm just off out.

L

LM

I don't want to bang on about this, but I have to say 12 years ago I won a lot of large tiling tenders for large scale house builders over here and I had to come up with a system for tanking wet areas to trays and baths that was idiot proof, due to the number and variety of sub contracted tilers I was going to have to use. I can honestly say that in all the years with a number of between 4-10 bathrooms or ensuites per week, when installed as I'm stating, I've never had a single failure. Which considering that all the houses are new builds and shrinkage is a massive consideration is no mean feat!
Either of my two techniques combining a flexible tanking system with flexible tape in conjunction with an aqua seal/ classi seal or a Sealux pack are the best way to economically deal with the inevitable movement.
All I can say is that it's been tried and tested thousands of times with me having to stand over it and I have no complaints.
There are even companies selling the idea as a pack now.

bal + sealux - Google Search - https://www.google.co.uk/search?site=&source=hp&ei=PM2PV_WSEaaWgAbXlLXQDA&q=bal+%2B+sealux&oq=bal+%2B+sealux&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0i22i30.1867.12765.0.15186.13.13.0.1.1.0.220.1293.9j3j1.13.0....0...1c.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.13.1225.3..0j41j46j0i131i46j46i131j0i131j0i46j0i10j0i13i30.NxK5aVlHZNw#imgrc=UWGD6C1JI1PdkM%3A

O

Old Mod

s8979.gif
;)

Ger

TF
Reaction score
Crumbs, there is a website: www.waterproofingshowers.com that may be of interest in respect of installing a Sealux trim over a tray/bath and BAL tanking over the shower walls.

If you are installing a tray/bath and intend to tank over it (or not), Sealux have just launched HydroHALT (www.hydrohalt.com). The installation animation on the homepage might surprise you (or not!)

L

LM

Crumbs, there is a website: www.waterproofingshowers.com that may be of interest in respect of installing a Sealux trim over a tray/bath and BAL tanking over the shower walls.

If you are installing a tray/bath and intend to tank over it (or not), Sealux have just launched HydroHALT (www.hydrohalt.com). The installation animation on the homepage might surprise you (or not!)

Ger I like the look of that HydroHalt it's new to me, but I'd still like tape on the vertical joints. Some of the movement I've seen in those areas in new builds over the years has been crazy.

Ger

TF
Reaction score
It's a shame most of the customers I mention tanking to, think I'm trying to upsell or aren't interested.

If customers want their tiled shower installations to meet BS Codes of Practice, the recommendations are clear. If customers want plaster board tiled without tanking I would ensure a written recommendation to tank the walls was made with a limited guarantee on their chosen specification.

BS 5385-4:2015 was published in October 2015 and Section 7 dealing with ‘wet and damp conditions’ now advises that in areas not subject to continuous water immersion but subject to frequent wetting, the basic structure behind the tiles should be watertight.

In particular, BS 5385 Part 4.7.2.1.4 states the following should apply in respect of installations not immersed but subject to frequent wetting including wet rooms and domestic power showers.

a) The basic structure behind the tiles should be watertight and should be tanked.
b) Water-resistant materials should be used throughout. Plaster and plasterboard, would be unsuitable in frequently wetted areas.
c) The tiles should be solidly bedded so that voids behind them are eliminated as far as possible.
d) When the installation is tanked and water-resistant materials are used, cementitious grouting compositions may be specified.
e) Special attention should be paid to sealing the gaps between wall and base, particularly if the installation is on a suspended floor.
f) Where movement joints are subject to water immersion, water spray or splash, the joints should be sealed with curing sealants.

Reply to Tanking Tape Install Help in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks