Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tanking shower 'to be' area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

1animal1

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi, I am after a little advice on the best way to proceed. I am currently tile my en suite (as can be seen in other posts) with Porcelain - the room is shaped like a backward P with the bottom leg of the P area being the shower cubicle. At present I have refitted and finishing tile the main area so that we can use the room for washing/toilet - but the shower part will not be fitted out until i can extend it deeper into the airing cupboard behind it (it's only 700mm wide so extending from 800mm long to 1200mm)- this won't be for a while as i need to repipe the entire central heating before having a new central heating system refitted in the garage, freeing up the ACupboard.

The walls have been totally stripped of their previous tiles, leaving the paper backing, this has had small holes filled with cement based Mapei and the whole lot primed with Primer G, along with the rest of the room. The walls are made up of 3 pieces of 20mm plaster board D&DB'd (no battons) so removing one layer is a massive pita - especially now as I have tiled the back wall up to the shower up to a piece of square trim, a divider between the porcelain and the soon to be fitted 'ceramic' shower 600x200 mosaic effect tiles. Obviously i cannot start fitting any of the shower tiles until i have fitted a shower base which will either be a single piece slate, or tanked and tiled.

My question is, what will be the best way to tank the new shower area given that removing boards and replacing with some decent 'Water proof' boards is going to be a huge pain. If this is the only way then fair enough as i'll be able to cut the board near the square trim (upto 6 inch away) and butt up to the old board using D&DB (no other way to fix to remaining 2 plasterboards) - but my preference would be to tank as is - is this possible in theory?

Hopefully I've explained this ok?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

OP
S

SJPurdy

You are already using Mapei products so why not continue and use one of their shower waterproofing systems (follow link from this site to get product details). The plasterboard surfaces are waterproofed with an easy to use paint on membrane and the corner joints are reinforced/protected with a flexible tape.

OP
O

Old Mod

As long as your structure is sound, you can use Ardex WPC.
I prefer to recommend this one to non tilers because it's a substancial system, easy to use, and very easy to tell if it's not done fully. (It's jet black when dry)
Because others are a light grey, an untrained eye may apply too thinly on similarly coloured plaster board.
Make sure you securely tape all corners and board transitions, and in your situation may even suggest doing the whole floor of the cubicle also, before fitting the tray or former.
Can't be too waterproof.

OP

1animal1

You don't know how happy i am you both suggested that! :D

I will of course have to put a stud wall in the end of the cubicle when i extend but I'll probably just use aquaboard? then use the kits you've suggested, it's only the end wall, the shower will be fitted central into the ceiling and you'll stand side on (plenty of elbow room!).... the black kit does sound a lot more user friendly! I'll have a look at both and see which i prefer... They certainly know how to charge for them I've noticed (actually on reflection these aren't that badly priced!), same for the preformed pretiled shower trays/boards.

It's been a pain as I've had to put the waste in for the shower before fitting the main area out, sunk partially into the beams (32mm solvent so I can make max use of the space - 2.3m run to the soil stack) - as it stands the lowest part of the waste is about level with the top of the beams, you've then got 10mm T&G Fboards and the heated floor comes in about 28mm above the boards, so hopeful that i can get the shower base in so it doesn't sit too much higher than the new floor... I've been told to stay away from the minimal drains due to the higher chance of blockages... I'll then probably do a concrete base if fitting a slate base, or preformed jobby if tile with plenty of woodwork to hold it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Old Mod

Minimal waste?
With shower trays it's about the 'flow rate' of your waste.
You should take a look at @SchlĂĽter-Systems Ltd shower kits. One has a 22mm thick (especially designed for uk market) 1m2 standard central Drain, and the other is a longer oblong former with a linear drain which can be placed centrally or to one end. Both can be trimmed to suit.
Both kits come with a roll of tanking membrane and everything you need to install your shower.
The square one has 5m2 and the linear 10m2 of membrane. (You may have to top up with tanking paste for yours.)
And for such a high quality product, these kits are excellent value for money. You'd be pushed to find a better shower and tanking system.

OP

1animal1

That looks like a really good bit of kit with minimal height needed! Looks to have a decent perimeter around the drain too for proofing... Where do you buy these in the UK, are they trade only as i can only find US only sites on google....

Lad who'd said to me about the waste was saying that the minimal ones have a tendency to clog, and because they don't have depth, you sometimes have problems with the water clearing the in built trap

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
O

Old Mod

Not sure what you mean by decent perimeter but both trays have a tanking collar around the trap to prevent water going where it shouldn't.
Designedwith the fitter in mind they're both very easy to install. And both have the option of horizontal or vertical drains.
I tend to get my schluter products from a guy called Stuart from Lilley tile & Stone. @Stu Lilley he's extremely knowledgeable and will give excellent advice.
I don't know any suppliers up your way, maybe @impish can help.

I would be surprised if schluter formers had problems draining.

OP

1animal1

Thanks for this, I meant the collar seemed substantial compared to others I've seen.

I'll have a look into local suppliers, if not I'm sure your guy will be able to mail?

Reply to Tanking shower 'to be' area in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock