Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tanking a separate shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

R

Rust

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on tanking a shower.
I have a 1400x900 resin shower tray in an enclosure with three plastered walls - one wall is stone and two are studwork.
I've bought the Aquaseal tanking kit and I just want to know can I, or should I, run the tape that comes with the kit onto the shower tray itself, by 10mm or so, then apply the membrane, creating a complete seal between wall and tray?
Or should I buy something like the aquastrap?
Cheers,
Rust

OP
R

Rust

You can still lap the tape down on to the tray, tile the walls, then cut it back after.
if the walls are plastered, in comparison to other substrates they'll not carry much weight.
What type of tiles are you using?

The walls are plastered, so I know I'll be limited to 20kg per sqm, but I haven't chosen tiles yet (tripping over samples though!)

The tray hasn't been fitted yet, so are you saying I can apply a flexiseal of some kind (like your link), install the tray, then lap the tanking kit tape over the flexiseal and onto the tray, then apply the membrane?

If so, I like the sound of that - a belt and braces approach. I was just wondering if simply lapping the tanking tape into the shower tray and tanking was sufficient/a good idea.

Thanks for your reply.

OP
O

Old Mod

I'd definately apply the classi seal behind the tray and against the wall. I've seen them save clients from what would have been major disasters.
Yes then put the banding on the wall and lap over shower tray and apply tanking membrane over wall and tape.

OP
R

Rust

I'd definately apply the classi seal behind the tray and against the wall. I've seen them save clients from what would have been major disasters.
Yes then put the banding on the wall and lap over shower tray and apply tanking membrane over wall and tape.

Thats great, thanks for your help 3_fall.

Is classi seal a good product? I've been looking at the Sealux Aquastrap (essentially the same thing), although you can only use a neutral curing silicone with the Aquastrap.

OP
O

Old Mod

You'll be covering the seal with the tanking band and membrane anyway, they won't come in to contact with each other.

Reply to Tanking a separate shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock