Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Sweating Toilet - has anyone insulated theirs? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

wau5

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I was aware of the problem with the old toilet that it would sweat a bit ( condensation) - it was dealt with by just wiping it up+ I thought It was leaking because of the amount of water everywhere , However now that I have re-done the whole bathroom ,including replacing some rotten floorboard underneath and installed a new Toilet I can only see how sewere the problem is and that it's actually just 100% condensation problem from the chilly water entering the toilet cistern.
Having done some research on this ( not that many resources...) seems like the only 2 solutions are: mixing in some hot water or insulating the cistern/toilet. I have tiled in all the pipes and it would be a total mess now to do it so that's kinda the last resort+ I don't think it would be wise to have warm water in toilet so the bacteria can thrive.

So that leaves me probably with just insulating the hell out of it, I'm fairly positive a lot of people have got problem with this in the winter ,was wondering if someone has tried to insulate theirs and how did you go about doing it and what were the results?
-Expanding foam would be really messy , I have seen some use some Yoga mats? I got some thick XPS floor underlay that could be a good waterproof insulator, but how would you go about glueing something like that to the inside of the cistern so it stays there? Silicone perhaps?

Thanks in Advance!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Might be question more suited to our plumbing forum to be fair but have you tried turning the fill speed down so it doesn't squint cold water in so quickly? Can sometimes do it via the ball ****, sometimes need a ball valve adding to the inlet pipe.

Also try sticking a couple of sponges in the cistern. That way there's always aired water in there when cold is added. As it hasn't emptied fully.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Had exactly same problem in a rental I've got. Emptied cistern and got a yoga mat from Agros for a tenner and used Gorilla adhesive that sticks even when wet, and it solved the problem. It's a bit messy but it does the job. There's even enough mat left to do my step-daughters as she gets a bit when it's really cold.

Reaction score
I sorted mine by adhering a couple of thin layers of polystyrene around the inside.
It can still condensate at times but, it doesn't pour off like it used to.

tmp_27041-DSC_0011614853806.JPG

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Whack a sponge in mate because when the water does air a bit over night and then you flush, it kinda isn't filling with only cold. It's got a bit of luke warm still in the sponge.

Also makes it fully quietly if you can place it under the inlet.

OP
W

wau5

cool, did just that today.
took some 5mm underlay, and fully lined with it the cistern today + sprayed with foam all the backside with it since surprisingly you get a whole lot of condensation there as well.
Hopefully once the silicone has cured this will solve the problem.

q9LjIyl.jpg

iT7B7so.jpg

OP
W

wau5

I can report back that insulating the toilet solved the problem! No more sweating on the cistern, however.. it's still sweating a bit at one part of the bottom part of the toilet where its not possible to insulate anything- not that great quality Toilet I have to say I have bought, wasn't even a cheapo one as well...
However 95% of the sweating has gone!

excellent result for a a couple of pounds spent on foam.

Reply to Sweating Toilet - has anyone insulated theirs? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock