Discuss staining on Granite Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

r.shaw

adhesive was super flexible buildfix (grey!!) thickness varies but is around 10mm ,around 2-3 tiles have what i think have now dried leaving a greyish blob where the tile was not buttered fully to the edges. was wondering wheather using an ager might just blend it all in as when they look really wet the grey shadow cannot be seen as much ?

S

Spud

did you back spread the tiles when fitting them as this is essential when fitting the lighter coloured granites

R

r.shaw

hi, yes buttered the backs but not to full coverage unfortunatly learnt a lot since I put them down!!
located in aldershot.
they are still drying so will give the tiles a stay of excecution for another week. will try and post some photos over the weekend

cheers:incazzato:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pawelzik

This as a rule of thumb:

Natural stones of white/greywhite/yellow/green/blue, and especially when they are thin, means:
a) take a white addy made especially for natural stones and with fast setting, class C2F or C2FT or C2FTE. Those addys can bind a certain amount of water which minders the danger of discolouration as only less moisture can creep through the stone. Best would be an addy that contains fine trass in addition, trass can bind free calcium what minders the danger of getting calcium carbonate spots.
b) always butter the back in addition to avoid seeing the comb.

Naturals stones of red/greyred/black
a) when thin take the a.m. addy
b) when thick, starting with a thickness > 1,6 cm, and substrate is dry, can also be laid with a grey tile adhesive, we recommand not to go below class C2.

For slate or black granites we recommand grey addy not below class C2 and flexibility class S1. Slate because "fat"-feel, S1 addy sticks better to that. Black granites for more flexibility when laid in sunny areas.

With UFH all a.m. addys with S1 flexibility minimum.

Our clients had followed the a.m. rules of thumb for years, we have no complaints. :thumbsup::hurray:

P

Pawelzik

Martin a good post :pete

Thank you Pete.
Here is one in addition: During the last years China exports lots of Padang granite to europe for cheap. It is available at retailers as well as in DIY stores.
Espescially Chinese Padang is known as a water sucker and we had several posts here talking about that and resulting discolouration. As a rule of thumb always take an addy with a fast setting e.g. class C2F or C2FT. The addy can be grey, this is a matter of the stone thickness again.

S

slayed100

I know I am just learning at the moment but can I ask what type of floor the tiles have been laid onto? Was it new(ish) concrete and will the lack of drying have anything to do with that?

R

r.shaw

hi, just as an update it's now been 2weeks and most of my worries have gone the tiles are still drying out but I belive there is no staining just some natural lines in the tiles !!
never realised what a spounge granite is, will be using white in future and will blend the next bag of white and grey just incase of any colour issues.:hurray:

ad the tiles were layed onto a concrete /laytex leveled floor if anything the concrete should suck up the water and assist the drying !!

Reply to staining on Granite Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks