Discuss staining on Granite Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

r.shaw

Can anyone help , just started to lay golden yellow granite floor tiles yesterday and within a few hours you can see the area where the adhesive is below showing as a darker area , still the same overnight , Im worried this could be staining as I have used grey flexible tile adhesive ? how long would a bed of adhesive take to dry out on a concrete floor ? and if it is staining ,does the application of the sealer darken the tile as this would blend in the light dark areas.

J

jay

hi sounds like you should have used white or off white adhesive and sorry sealer will not cure this prob you have been advised wrong :oops:

W

White Room

Would have used white adhesive and back skimmed the tile as you lay, grey on light tiles can have a habit of grinning through. You don't mention how many tiles your've laid but you may have to lift the ones that are already down

G

grumpygrouter

White adhesive would have been better but as you have used grey, then the overall effect should just have been a darkening of the tiles everywhere. Sounds like you have not got full coverage on the back of the tiles which is why you have dark patches. As previously mention, "back skimming" would have alleviated the shadows. Drying isn't really the issue I feel as the tiles themselves should have absorbed very little moisture from the adhesive as granite is really quite moisture resistant. You may need to lift what you have already laid and re do...making sure you cover the back of the tile completely with adhesive before fixing.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Perry

lol the adhesive ain't dried yet its moisture unless its rapid :oops:

R

r.shaw

thanks guys would agree i need to use white but cant understand how much bleed through of the grey there is they almost look wet not grey? thats why i ask how long to dry they appear to suck up moisture by the way its not rapid pjc ?

P

Perry

thanks guys would agree i need to use white but cant understand how much bleed through of the grey there is they almost look wet not grey? thats why i ask how long to dry they appear to suck up moisture by the way its not rapid pjc ?
well i think its just water it will dry out give it a couple of days always happens with granite :pete

R

r.shaw

thanks will keep you posted now been 3 days, possible sighns of drying I've got everything crossed!!:hurray:

R

r.shaw

still drying out but it looks like some have a dreaded grey shadow so looks like i will be digging up 20 tiles this weekend !!!:incazzato:

P

Perry

still drying out but it looks like some have a dreaded grey shadow so looks like i will be digging up 20 tiles this weekend !!!:incazzato:
What adhesive have you used and how thick is it ?

Reply to staining on Granite Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks