Discuss Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Tile Fixer & Contractor Work area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

N

natalie stanley

Hi all

Would do rather live with the squeak instead of taking the tiles up. I'm just trying to ascertain if it's possible to have a squeaking without the tiles cracking?!

It did occur to me that it could be a temparature thing as it's the joist closest to the external wall although it didn't squeak this time last year..

Q

Qwerty

Hi all

Would do rather live with the squeak instead of taking the tiles up. I'm just trying to ascertain if it's possible to have a squeaking without the tiles cracking?!

It did occur to me that it could be a temparature thing as it's the joist closest to the external wall although it didn't squeak this time last year..

A squeaking floor does not necessarily mean imminent failure. Numerous times I have been tearing my hair out trying get to locate the source of a squeak only to find its the metal or wooden joist cross bridges (braces) rubbing by a miniscule amount

N

natalie stanley

A squeaking floor does not necessarily mean imminent failure. Numerous times I have been tearing my hair out trying get to locate the source of a squeak only to find its the metal or wooden joist cross bridges (braces) rubbing by a miniscule amount

Ok this is good to know and I'm hoping it's exactly what you've said and will perhaps Coke and go depending on the temperature etc. I guess the best thing is just keep an eye and see what happens?

D

Dumbo

Squeaking is caused by timber moving....... a silicone joint around the edge will not stop this.

What you need to do is identify the precise squeak position then add more secure fixings to that point and possibly the surrounding areas so that the timber no longer moves enough to squeak.
You are probably correct but as he lady said it was close to the edge of the room I figured it could possibly be grout rubbing against the skirting board as she walked on the floor . And in an ideal world skirting boards would be removed prior to tiling but not everybody has the budget .

D

Dumbo

Ok this is good to know and I'm hoping it's exactly what you've said and will perhaps Coke and go depending on the temperature etc. I guess the best thing is just keep an eye and see what happens?
It may be wise if you are going to suck it and see to get the tiles that may be required for a repair now as they may not be available in the future . But if I was you as mentioned earlier leave it for now as if it ain't broke don't
The skirting was

Reply to Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Jobs | Tile Fixer & Contractor Work area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks