Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

N

natalie stanley

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello

I'm hopeing somebody can give me some advice - around a year and half ago I had my kitchen floor tiled. There is a wooden subfloor underneath which is made of thick ply, plenty of brackets and noggins between the beams and ditra.

Today I've just noticed that the area closest to the exterior wall creaks very loudly even when lightly walking. If I gently bounce it also squeaks. I've noticed it happens when I walk the length of the floor and the beams also go this way. It's a good 3-4metres of where the creaking occurs.

Fortunately I can't see any cracks in the tiles and the floor doesn't feel bouncy.

Any idea what it could be and if it's likely to progress into damage?

Perhaps the change in weather has had an impact to the joists?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

OP
F

Flintstone

One one reason for creaks and cracked grout, movement in the floor, weather you can feel it or not.

OP
D

Dumbo

The perimeter of the room should have a flexible joint like silicone or or purpose made movement joint if it doesn't this could be cause of squeaking

OP
N

natalie stanley

Can you elaborate further, not quite sure what you mean?

It feels like the squeaking is coming from one joist, as it's the length of the floor and the joists go that way. When I bounce on it it squeaks every time

OP
B

Bill

Squeaking is caused by timber moving....... a silicone joint around the edge will not stop this.

What you need to do is identify the precise squeak position then add more secure fixings to that point and possibly the surrounding areas so that the timber no longer moves enough to squeak.

OP
N

natalie stanley

Thanks for the replies all.

It will be impossible to access the floor unless I take up the tiles which is what I'd really prefer not to do. I don't mind living with the squeak as long as the tiles and grout don't crack. Fortunately it's not a high trafficked area.

Is it feasible that the tiles may not crack?

Thanks

Reaction score
Feasible, possible, maybe. Depends on the type and quality of products used. There may be enough flex in the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout to cope.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
you have a choice really. Live with the squeak and hope for the best on the basis it might be ok or take up the tiles fix the problem and know that its ok. leaving it to squeak is doing no harm and saves you taking up the tiles. Ok you might have to do so later on but deal with that then.

OP
N

natalie stanley

Thanks Rich - all quality products used and there is also ditra. As I mentioned the floor don't feel so bouncy but clearly the weight is impacting as it squeaks a lot. It's weird that it's just started happening.

Thanks

Reply to Squeaky tiled floor in the Tiling Work | Tiling Jobs - Tilers Required area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock