Discuss SLC over Ply before NMP? which SLC? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

william hughes

Hi there,

My first post! I've been following the forum a while at a distance! a great resource

Im renovating my bathroom (2mx2m floor) and I've got a question about SLC. The entire first floor of the house isn't level, it dips into the middle of the house and in the bathroom this means there is a 1" difference in level between the floor at entrance and the floor at the far end.

I ripped up the old floor boards as they were cut up loads from previous work, checked the joists (8x2s at 14" centres) were solid and intact before screwing down 1" marine ply at 150mm centres with an expansion gap around the edge and at the butt joint. It seems solid and its pretty flat.

My plan is to pour SLC over the ply to level the floor out (creating a wedge of SLC) before then overlaying with 6mm no more ply. This is so that the floor and walls are square where the shower tray will be, meaning the glass surround will be easier to install.

Ive currently got one coat of 1:1 dilute SBR on the marine ply and now feeling unsure as to whether that was the right choice of primer and what SLC to use! I was going to use mapai renovation SLC but noticed the recommended primer is a 2 part resin based one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Im worried about the SLC cracking and crumbling and allowing the boards to move. The tiles will be marble mosaic on the floor, so should i be using a decoupler as well?

S

Spacey

How thick is the plywood you've used to replace the floor boards ?
Mapei Renovation will do the Job
Primer needs to be Mapei PrimT or PrimGrip.
Before you screed it though you need to make sure there's no way it can run away especially if your bathroom is up stairs or you could end up with it coming through your ceiling down stairs and that's a messy affair ! This will alook help it level out correctly.

Don't sandwich the screed in ply Firstly theres no need to ply again the Renovation will sort the levels it can go up to 40mm in on hit which is more than enough to sort out your 1 inch dip also the top layer of ply would take on board the moisture from the screed and swell up marine ply or not.

W

william hughes

Cheers for the advice Spacey,

its 1" thick marine ply. Ive got the no more ply so i might as well screw it over the ply and screed onto that? especially since I've already SBR'd the ply? There are expansion gaps. I was going to block the screed in at the door way and silicone the gaps

Any tips regarding decoupler for the marble mosaic?

Will

S

Spacey

I'm a karndean fitter mate so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

Most importantly as for the prep Make sure the screed can't run away any where at all Seal everywhere it possibly could

Reply to SLC over Ply before NMP? which SLC? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks