Discuss SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Jobs | Tile Fixer & Contractor Work area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

CheshireChap

what a disappointing introduction to a site that I thought would prove to be helpful by professionals who have passion about their skills.

Whilst I have tried to be factual and honest in describing our project, I have been met with Prima Donnas whom I can only take as being so insecure when they take such delight at ridiculing 2 very competent colleagues.

Even when I take the advice of the majority and change my search to that which is recommended, I get sarcastic, not frank, comments. For those that don't understand the difference, a frank comment would not include Mr Chappy and a rather churlish reference to Yell.com as a sign off.

Not wishing to state the bleedin obvious, but why would I spent time and effort on here if I thought yell was the answer?

S

Spud

Levelling a floor for tiling is part of the duties of a tiler it is classed as surface preparation and one of the current modules of the wall and floor tiler NVQ it isn't an optional extra that some tilers do and others don't which is why you have been met with some of the professionals on here questioning the ability of your tiler , you may well have seen his finished work but that only tells a small part of the story as what lies beneath is as important if not more important than what looks on the surface nice job as you want it to last if you are spending your money on it , you tiler is right the surface prep does need to be at a higher level of quality for large format thin tiles and to offer you a warranty on his work he should want to do his own prep work as if some 3rd party is involved it leaves you as a customer in difficult position if something goes wrong hope this helps

Reaction score
Late arrival here,
if the tiler has said that the existing floor is already of a good standard (in his words), then surely its only a bit of patching up here and there to bring some areas up?
This should be totally manageable by a tiler with even just average SLC skills?

C

CheshireChap

The 'new' floor is good, but not good enough for 1m2 tiles. Together with the 'old' kitchen floor gives an area of 70m2. As the thread shows, the Tiler's said it needs to be perfect and they are not comfortable doing it.

I've now got Express Screed Ltd to do it for me next week using Rocatex C40 F10 Slow Flex Leveller

Fingers crossed they do it as professionally as they sound.

R

Rookery

The only thing I can add is that you, via your tiler, detail clearly and in writing to your contractor the exact specification required and copy your tiler in as well. IE, finished floor height, any movement joints, maximum tolerance on flatness etc. Armed with that, you can check that the work has been done to spec or not and proceed accordingly

H

hmtiling

The 'new' floor is good, but not good enough for 1m2 tiles. Together with the 'old' kitchen floor gives an area of 70m2. As the thread shows, the Tiler's said it needs to be perfect and they are not comfortable doing it.

I've now got Express Screed Ltd to do it for me next week using Rocatex C40 F10 Slow Flex Leveller

Fingers crossed they do it as professionally as they sound.
The rocatex leveller is an excellent product. I used it to level a terrible screed to take 1200x2400 tiles and now use it exclusively.
Good luck

Reply to SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Tiling Jobs | Tile Fixer & Contractor Work area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks