Discuss SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Work Wanted for Wall and Floor Tile Fixers area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure there's any such company that just levels floor's your best bet would be another tiler doing it but imo you will be opening a massive can of worms....

F

Flintstone

i can't blame the tiler here for not wanting to get involved levelling and preparing this floor. I think the comments suggesting he's no good are a bit out of order. He may well be an excellent tiler.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I completely disagree, if the prep work and levelling was tricky I wouldn't want to tile it unless I'd prepared it myself. If you haven't got the skills to level it you don't deserve the job of tiling it!

O

One Day

Tilers used to be able to prep all substrates.
What happened?!
Sand and cement render, floor screeding...

F

Flintstone

I completely disagree, if the prep work and levelling was tricky I wouldn't want to tile it unless I'd prepared it myself. If you haven't got the skills to level it you don't deserve the job of tiling it!

I would level it, but I know a lot of tilers who wouldn't. Or wouldn't do it well

D

Dumbo

The trouble is if a screeding company levelled a floor to tolerances of BS sr1 ( I believe that is what it's called and can't remember the tolerances) it's still not that great for tiling purposes.

T

Time's Ran Out

The trouble is if a screeding company levelled a floor to tolerances of BS sr1 ( I believe that is what it's called and can't remember the tolerances) it's still not that great for tiling purposes.
That post may be trying to say something but doesn't really add to the Op request.
All he wants is the name of a screeding co. near him.
I think we are trying to advise that he gets a tiling company that will prepare his substrate and then tile it but all he requires is someone to do the levelling and use his own recommended Tilers.
You just have to wonder why a new screed needs any levelling in the first place and why he's not getting them back to level it out as a finished floor ready for next trade, surely they knew it was to be tiled ( and that's why it's not correct!).
I've not read a thread on here in nearly 8 years that was titled - I've just tiled on a perfect screed !

C

CheshireChap

Thanks to all for your advice and replies.

We do indeed want a company name or recommendation. To be fair to the original screeding company from the NW, they have, in the words of our tiler, done a good job with the screed. It's just not good enough for 1m2 tiles.

When the screed was done, the rest of the house was boarded off and they weren't contracted to marry the new to the old; that's the next stage. They don't do SLC and that finesse is what we need now.

U

Unused Account 1

The best guys for self leveller are the guys who lay karndean and amtico,they use it all the time ,very good over big areas

Reaction score
I would be happy enough doing this job although I wouldn't get the satisfaction of laying the tiles, I know I would get it good enough to accept those tiles unfortunately I'm too far away. 2 guys 1 day

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The best guys for self leveller are the guys who lay karndean and amtico,they use it all the time ,very good over big areas

I wouldn't say that was true every time. Amtico and Karndean will follow the plane of the floor whereas as a porcelain tile will not. What the Karndean and Amtico fitters will give you is a smooth floor to lay their tiles onto, as any discrepancies will show through the tiles as they are only very thin.

Reply to SLC over a large floor prior to tiling in the Work Wanted for Wall and Floor Tile Fixers area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks