Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss slate bathroom floor - help! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Apologies if this question has been asked before...

We have just had a riven slate floor laid in the bathroom. This was then cleaned using Qep Heavy Duty Tile Cleaner to remove all the marks and grout.

It has now left the tiles white and cloudy and stained, some almost bleached and generally looking a complete mess.

We have washed and washed and scrubbed them - even using a carpet cleaner but nothing changes the appearance.

Is there anything we can do to remove this or cover it up?
When they are wet they look fantastic but as soon as they dry they look awful again.

I really don't want to remove them if possible as this will mean taking out the bath etc etc but its looking like we may have no choice.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

OP
J

jay

:welcome:just a question what procedure did you clean the slate and how long was it grouted befor cleaning :8:

OP
D

doris4646

As far as I know (a tiler did the inital work) the instructions on the bottle were followed - apply cleaner, leave for 10-15mins, scrub/scourer and then wash, although I do know that the cleaner was used neat towards the end rather than 1 part to 4 parts water as some marks were not moving.

The tiles had been laid/grouted about 3 weeks beforehand, during that time the bathroom had not been used.

The tiles have yet to be sealed - for obvious reasons!!

OP
D

diamondtiling

Hi there and welcome to the forum, You need to put some pictures up so that we can see these stains. I do not know the product you mention nor can I find it on the net, is it for ceramics and porcelain, does it say it you can use it on natural stone?
You can get specific products for slate such as Lithofin slate seal, this will immediately darken the slate and enhance colours. Slate should be cleaned of all https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ marks as it is laid, it also MUST be sealed prior to grouting, was this done? If these marks are cement marks then concrete cleaner may help, try it on a small area first.

OP
M

mistral

it also MUST be sealed prior to grouting,

Not necessarily........ I worked on a big slate job with a mate of mine and he insisted on grouting it first and then sealing after thoroughly washing, and the job came out great, surprised me, as I've always sealed first.

OP
D

david campbell

Not necessarily........ I worked on a big slate job with a mate of mine and he insisted on grouting it first and then sealing after thoroughly washing, and the job came out great, surprised me, as I've always sealed first.

slate must be sealed before grouting m8!
whoever told you different is wrong!

OP
J

jay

sorry to disagree slate is always sealed last over here first id heard of sealing first was on here we all do things diff:8:

OP
P

Perry

i also grout limestone before i seal it have done for twenty years also some terrecotta so i have learnt not to knock it before i try :yikes: it

OP
P

Perry

well 20 years ago you never got rapid setting grouts so you would always get the mositure getting into the tile if you sealed it first it would take years to dry

OP
K

kimmyhutch

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem; mosaic metallic slate tiles on a wet room floor, that have white stains that looks like limescale. They were professionally fitted and sealed 18 months ago, the marks have appeared over the past few months. On the advice of the tile supplier I used LTP Grimex to remove the sealant, but that did nothing. Then I tried a "natural" limescale & dirt remover. Nothing. I finally resorted to Viakal limescale remover, but still no difference.

Can anyone suggest what I try next?

Thanks
Kim

OP
D

DHTiling

Hi all

I have exactly the same problem; mosaic metallic slate tiles on a wet room floor, that have white stains that looks like limescale. They were professionally fitted and sealed 18 months ago, the marks have appeared over the past few months. On the advice of the tile supplier I used LTP Grimex to remove the sealant, but that did nothing. Then I tried a "natural" limescale & dirt remover. Nothing. I finally resorted to Viakal limescale remover, but still no difference.

Can anyone suggest what I try next?

Thanks
Kim

Any pics kim..?

OP
K

kimmyhutch

Yes I have, but they're over the allowed size for jpeg attachments so it wouldn't let me attach them. I can email them?

OP
K

kimmyhutch

Here's a pic, not great quality but hopefully you can see what I mean.

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 43

Reply to slate bathroom floor - help! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock