Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Shower bath tiling preparation: plaster and wooden windowsill in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A SMITH

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I'd appreciate your suggestions on preparation for tile over my bath.

Photo shows the old bath. The new bath will be in by the end of the week. The soil pipe will be boxed in to the width of the bath using Aquapanel, and a mixer shower and concealed bath valves will be attached to it.

All three walls surrounding the bath, and around the window, will be tiled (DIY) with 75x150mm "farmhouse" ceramic tiles, 9mm thick, from the tub up to the ceiling. The wall at the head of the bath will only be tiled to the width of the bath.

The old skim plaster is mostly still OK. There are a few patches where I've removed loose skim plaster. Some paint and tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ from the 70s remains over the bath.

The windowsill is solid wood.

I'd like to start the tile in the middle of next week at the latest, so I'm hoping I won't need to do anything that takes ages to dry.

So my question is what should I do to prepare this mess for tile - board the walls with Aquapanel or something? Tank the plaster directly? Some other solution?

IMG_20170418_182336449.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Remove all paint and old https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ using a 4" blade scraper. Remove any loose plaster and ensure the wall is reasonably flat.

That wooden window board is in the shower zone and destined to rot. Look to remove the window board and replace with a waterproof board and tank all shower walls. Avoid aquapanel as it is water resistant, not waterproof. This goes for the soil pipe also.

OP
A

A SMITH

TF
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Surely tanked aquapanel is as waterproof as tanked plaster, though?

What's the more-waterproof alternative?

Q

Qwerty

It is, but only you can decide if the walls require overboarding of not. My advice would be to use normal plasterboard in the corner over the soil pipe and tank everything. Cheaper, easier to purchase and will be just as water tight (if done correctly)

K

Kevbos

The room is not a wet room .does not need tanking .unless you have a solution to bridge it onto bath. Where it leaks .just make sure tiles are stuck with good https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ .and grouped well .and silicone all joints internal etc in wet areas .then look after the tiles and silicone. Nothing lasts forever .

T

Tile Shop

The room is not a wet room .does not need tanking .unless you have a solution to bridge it onto bath. Where it leaks .just make sure tiles are stuck with good https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ .and grouped well .and silicone all joints internal etc in wet areas .then look after the tiles and silicone. Nothing lasts forever .

This has got to be a joke, right? Using your method, damn right it won't last forever!

Grout is not waterproof (unless you insist on using epoxy), https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ is not waterproof no matter how "good" it is, plaster and plasterboard also not waterproof. And you're advising not to tank it??? Moisture will still be getting to the background no matter how much silicone you put on the internals!

The only difference between this and a wet-room is the base. Its still an intermittent wet area. Water is still hitting the walls. There is still a high level of humidity and condensation. Its not all about leaks, there should be as much care in protecting the substrates as there is in filling in the gaps. Stop giving bad advise. You'll be telling him to spot fix it next!

@A SMITH , stick with the advise from @Plan Tec Tiling and if anyone tells you not to tank it, ignore them.

K

Kevbos

It is a bath area .it is not subject to sustained amounts of water .most bathrooms shower area etc only have problems when water gets past weak points .these are areas where grout will crack etc .90 per cent of damage done in these areas results from water passing through edges of baths. Shower floor or tray areas .are you being purposely blind to this .a wet room is a room in which everything is tanked into a drain..once again read what I write .how can you tank a wall onto a bath edge.

K

Kevbos

I have tiled for wb Simpson's. Stone and ceramics .the tile company .on massive construction and house building sites .most this work was not tanked before tile .tanking is a waste of time if whole room is not tanked into a drain.

F

Flintstone

Kev your waffling a load of rubbish again.

The best bet is to tank the walls down to the floor, then fit the bath, so it's all water proofed around this weak point you keep going on about

K

Kevbos

Disagree all you like .a wet room or properly tanked room can only work properly if whole room done .

Reply to Shower bath tiling preparation: plaster and wooden windowsill in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock