Discuss Sealant for a Porcelain tile? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Hi people

Quick question; I have just laid a Porcelain tile (mosaic) to a floor for a wetroom. And will be grouting it today. But before I did I thought I would check to see if I should use a sealant first as they are a light coloured "shuttered concrete" effect and a was worried about shower gels etc staining the tile?

Also I assume it best to seal the tile prior to grouting, rather than after????? If it does need it what brands would you recommend?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above, any specific porcelain impregnator should do, if required we have protective impregnator.

As mentioned before , be aware even if you impregnate the tile- grout or residues can still get trapped in the micro pore of a tile- these sealing products line the capillary not fill them, test and seal an unlaid tile, let the product cure for the stated time and them check your grout release- if good on the unlaid ,you should be good to complete the area. Check with supplier to see if they need an impregnator

thanks for the expert reply's.

I have found;Lithofin KF Protective Impregnator Porcelain Sealer @ pureadhesion.co.uk it this what you are recommending?

Unfortunately I had to get on with the grouting today, so no protector used, however can the above be used after grouting as well as pre grout sealant?

Is it really necessary, or more just precaution?

The Porcelain tile im using isnt porous, and has a "satin" finish to it, its just a light colour tile and I used Mapei 112 med grey grout, being a wetroom floor I was concerned about coloured shower gels etc staining.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
As above , if used after all moisture is released from the grout, this will give added protection( water and oil reppelance) to anything with porosity. Best way for client to maintain these areas is to rinse off the tiles (removing any residues from products) and remove surface water, so it doesn't sit there and evaporate or stain tiles or grout.maintain with the correct product.

Reply to Sealant for a Porcelain tile? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks